Ignition switch delete

smithabusa

Site Sponsor
Registered
Had a couple of guys ask cor an ignition key delete where to use the red kill switch as your main master power switch, wired up a prototype and tested it tonight

20230103_210147.jpg

Does the USA spec Busa not run an immobiliser system/chipped key?
I’m guessing the owner will use the key in the ignition to lock the steering for security purposes?
Have you thought of designing a remote control ignition switch on/off via key fob remote?

I’m guessing the owner will use the key in the ignition to lock the steering for security purposes?
Have you thought of designing a remote control ignition switch on/off via key fob remote?
Correct no immobilizer, usually this is for drag bikes and locking the steering doesn't happen outs to simplify and lighten the bike

As said, no they don't.
I'm glad too, as it's just one more thing that could fail, but, I don't understand why after 15+ years of Suzukis having immobilizers in other markets, that the U.S. never has.
Is there some sort of vehicle laws/requirements that the immobilizers are on bikes in certain markets?
Anyone?
It hardly matters, but just curious as to why.

As said, no they don't.
I'm glad too, as it's just one more thing that could fail, but, I don't understand why after 15+ years of Suzukis having immobilizers in other markets, that the U.S. never has.
Is there some sort of vehicle laws/requirements that the immobilizers are on bikes in certain markets?
Anyone?
Yes pretty sure its for regulatory compliance

and sorry no the key fob thing isn't something i am really interested in. With a maxxecu using those bluetooth buttons I used to start and rev the bike, one of those could be ignition key if you wanted and the bike wouldn't be able to start unless that was pressed.

As said, no they don't.
Anyone?
That's been my question for years since I've added alarms to probably 25 of my bikes over the years and even a quad when someone told me his were stolen. On Euro bikes, if not already installed, they make a plug and play module and a lot of the keys are also chipped.
BTW - I added an alarm to my gen3, heeding the can bus warnings and I have the PNP Suzuki alarm on order from Japan, I'll see if it's better when / if it gets here.

I opened this thread since I just had a problem with my keyless system on my KTM 1290 SAS. It sat in a restaurant parking lot overnight, last night, but it's like a <5-minute walk to home.
(I got it going this morning by shaking a harness.)

That's been my question for years since I've added alarms to probably 25 of my bikes over the years and even a quad when someone told me his were stolen. On Euro bikes, if not already installed, they make a plug and play module and a lot of the keys are also chipped.
BTW - I added an alarm to my gen3, heeding the can bus warnings and I have the PNP Suzuki alarm on order from Japan, I'll see if it's better when / if it gets here.

I opened this thread since I just had a problem with my keyless system on my KTM 1290 SAS. It sat in a restaurant parking lot overnight, last night, but it's like a <5-minute walk to home.
(I got it going this morning by shaking a harness.)

That sucks that you have short in your harness, as they can be a pain to find.
Good luck with it.

I've heard this, but in my first week of owning my gen3 I managed to lose one of my two keys. I had a blank cut, and it will not start the bike. So apparently the keys are chipped. Or am I misunderstanding something?

USA bikes are not chip protected.
Had my gen2 busa ignition busted out with a screwdriver. Dude started it up and drove it off my work parking lot. Security got it all on camera.
To my knowledge the manufacturers only put immobilizers on vehicles in countries that require it. aka Europe.
Guy who worked at my same company had his gen 1 stolen from his house a few months after mine.
He wound up getting a Panigale shipped from Italy. He said a big reason was the fact it was chipped/immobilized.

That sucks that you have short in your harness, as they can be a pain to find.
Good luck with it.
It's a semi-common problem on some KTMs with their Race On Button. I had ridden in the rain the previous week for about 2 miles. The steering lock is also electric, or I could have pushed it home.

I've heard this, but in my first week of owning my gen3 I managed to lose one of my two keys. I had a blank cut, and it will not start the bike. So apparently the keys are chipped. Or am I misunderstanding something?
Bump for an answer. If the Gen 3 in the US is not chipped, then why won't my blank start my bike?

I just went to a locksmith and had a blank cut. I put it in, and I think I can unlock the steering but none of the electronics wake up.

Back