Independent mechanics

OB_Big Ed

Registered
I have had the same problems with my dealer that many of you have. It’s not that thy are totally incompetent but I don’t get the feeling that thy really give a s h I t weather the job is done completely write. I used to turn a wrench part time about 20 year ago, so I know what can go on in a dealer’s shop. I do a lot of my own work still but not all of it. There are some things I just don’t feel comfortable doing my self; I’m not a professional. I have found an independent mechanic who really seems to care about what he dose. Dos anyone see a problem using the independent guy over the dealer? I trust this guy because he seems so interested in his work and he’s been at it for almost 30 years.

Big Ed; go for it you will still have to have warranty work done by a dealer. Word of caution, document,document,document all work parts and mileage.And I always use a oem filter for oil.

If you're as lucky as I used to be, your older brother is a full-up pro bike wrench. I used to go whining to him with my wrenching problems all the time, and he always obliged. Sucks for me that we live a thousand miles apart now. I'll never be even with him for favors if you count bike maintenance, not in this lifetime. An independent you can really trust is extremely valuable...not a replacement for a dealership, but a great alternative.

Suzuki dealers pay their techs min wage same thing is happening with the Harley dealers,alot of the mechanics would get paid minimum pay scale and make the extra money on the side until they got good and then they would quit and start their own shop.They "dealers" charge you full going mechanics rate $55-65/hr and pay their techs $8.50-$15.00/hr.It's the same thing in the Hi-tech world,Digital Vax people use to charge us to fix our mainframe $155-$200/hr to fix our computers and pay their techs $15-$25/hr.More people are making $8 and up to work at Mac Donnels and BurgerKing so why try hard.There's a few hard working mechanic's at the dealer but they to leave after getting the run around from the boss.Life goes on when it involves money or the amount of money that people have.

This is so true.If I didn't love doing this I could make a lot better money elsewhere. the dealership I'm at is very old fashion and one of the last I think to pay Commision on the customer paid labor. Haven't seen that in about 10 years.we have to pay or bike pushers at least $8 to start thank Taco Bell

Very good thread, the local dealership lost their service manager to lack of a future (he is now a computer tech), during his time there he built the dealerships service dept. into a award winning shop.

Now the same dealer with the awards on the wall is managed a glorified snowmobile wrench with no concern for street bike safety.

(This guy would not acknowlege the service bulletins 108 and 109, because we learned about them here a this site before he recieved a fax from Suzuki. I asked him to call Suzuki on this matter and he lied to me saying ALL the corporate techs were in Las Vegas for the Dealer Show)

GSX1300guy , knows who I mean.

Buy the tools and do it yourself, if in question please check this sites archives for info first. You new owners can learn a lot in a search.

they are just nuts and bolts. it can be a real blast to wrench a bike with a buddy.
be sure to get the factory mechanics manual. do not settle for less.

I agree completely with 'do it yourself' types. A great independent mechanic is almost irreplacable. Has a dealer mechanic ever shown his customer how to do anything faster/ easier/ cheaper? Does the dealer even let customers onto the service floor to see how things are done?

Doing it yourself doesn't happen all at once. At first, while tools and experience are accumulated, it will cost more and take longer. 10 hours of dealer labor ($450 - $ 850) buys a great starter toolset, about $200 at Lowes, Home Depot, or sears, $150 for big or impact sockets, and $200 for stands and other 'helpers'.

And you will screw things up. Find a good mail order place (I use Apache in Arizona, advertises in Cycle World) delivered to door about 60% of list price genuine Suzuki parts.

I would no more waste 'Ben's' (the expert independent) time on oil/ filter changes, chain and sprocket replacements, brake pad changes, etc. than I would pay my mother (I'm 46) to do my laundry or sweep my floor. At least she showed me how to do that for myself.

This was a double post. I'm going for a Golden Busa or two if I'm shaky enough to do that.

[This message has been edited by tinhead (edited 23 December 1999).]

Big Ed you are right. For all the work that I am unwilling or unable to do myself I go my tuner. He's a true creative tuning master and a meticulous mechanic. Loves a challenge, loves building performance into a machine. Bikes come first with him, but inevitably people hear about him and he finds himself being offered irresistable gobs of money to do things that tear him away from his bike biz...like tuning ocean racing boats.

I won't even let a dealer do warranty work unless they trap me into it like they did on the recall and bulletins 8 & 9. My machine goes to my tuner, period.

If my tuner moved away I would consider it top priority to replace him.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 23 December 1999).]

Sorry some of you have had trouble with your dealer, but it happens in all areas. There's a local Honda dealer that is a give-a-crap when it comes to service. I guess he's just too big. I'm lucky the Suzuki guy who works on mine is also a Busa owner/racer and really puts in the effort to do it right and then some. When I move in a few weeks, I plan on trucking the bike back for service as I don't want to test out the new dealer.

[This message has been edited by jr7501 (edited 23 December 1999).]

Tin; There really are some dealers that do work I take great insult on some of the items you mention. we do let customer in or service bays and even watch us.we know how labor can cost we try to save them money.PLEASE don't lump me in that other group, there really or good ones out there.

Johnnycheese you are not lumped in with anybody. I know there are good dealers and there are riders who need them.

All I am trying to get across is how to tell the difference. Access to shop by customers is a great way to tell. Self reliant customers are better customers for a good dealer, are a nightmare for inattentive dealers.

Now I suppose I'll get some flak for suggesting there are .org members who might need a dealer for service and repairs. There is no shame in this. Do what you gotta do, guys and gals, but one way or another a bike with the Hayabusa's capabilities NEEDS to be kept in topnotch form at all times.

Trust your dealer, trust an independent, trust yourself; when you're done, be able to trust your Hayabusa!!

Two double posts on the same thread and same day! Goodnight.

[This message has been edited by tinhead (edited 23 December 1999).]

Back