Is the NEW Hayabusa safe enough for a beginner?

Shabriri

Registered
I know, I know, you guys are tired of seeing this old topic being discussed again and again in this forum since about 20 years ago. But, what about the new Busa? I read the description on the website and realized this is actually a pretty safe bike for everyone(if the rider is not an sugar); the only problem is the weight.

Please have a look at the Suzuki intelligent ride system features. If they weren't turned off, they've really made this bike a beginner-friendly one. Of course, it's just my opinion after reading the web page.

So the question is, is it true that the SIRS have made this bike safe even for beginners? (look at the Active Speed Limiter!)

I've ridden motorcycles for about two years, and I still consider myself a beginner. I understand that the mainstream view opposes beginners from getting on a Busa, but I still want to do so because I've fallen in love with it.

If you know anything about the SIRS on the new Busa, please leave a comment and tell me if it's really so wonderful, or is it just bullshit luring timid riders to buy their product.

Against my better judgment ...

The blunt answer is yes, the bike is safe enough for a beginner to learn, but there are easier (less expensive) ways to accomplish that goal - the progressive method (start with less weight, less power). Many owners have commented on the fact that this is one bike below 5,500 rpms, a completely different one above that. Any beginning rider must be made hyper-aware of this. If they keep the rpms down (throttle control), the learning curve is about the same IMO (except maybe the weight) as any other bike.

Honestly it depends on the mindset of the beginner. There are some newbs I would trust on this bike, but it's a very short list. And as we all know, there are plenty of knuckleheads floating around who would love nothing more than WOT the bike just because it is what it is - a Busa - in other words, mindset.

Unless you know the prospect exceedingly well, I would pass on the Busa, buy em a 300 for about $5k, more than half of which you'd get back on resale within the first 12 mos of ownership (which is just about the time they'd be ready for something larger).

Hope this helps.

Anyone can start on anything I personally started on a R1 after being told not to now I'm alive and on a turbo busa, the issue comes with speed and control. It takes years to learn distances at extremely high speeds, emergency braking and when to maneuver and when to brake. I'd recommend extensive safety courses where they force you to emergency brake/maneuver in a controlled environment and take the course in the rain if you can.

I'd also recommend ride by your self 99% of the time.... I've seen more crashes due to people trying to keep up, show off or not paying attention riding with a group or friends, you'll live alot longer solo riding and let's be real no one is going to use the speed limit feature hahaha.

Depends on your level of maturity and self-restraint. Your biggest hurdle is the fact that it's a big heavy bike that is deceptively quick. Most bikes are similar underway within their class. Slow speed maneuvering and just pushing the bike around take some getting used to. Also keep in mind that a heavy bike carries a lot of momentum which can get you in trouble while stopping, passing and during quick maneuvers.

Other than the ABS system, the other systems really only kick in if you are really pushing the bike to its limits. I am not normally an aggressive rider but I have my moments. All of my systems are set at the lowest level of intrusion and I don't think I've activated them a single time. Maybe the anti lift control but I couldn't tell if it was that keeping the wheel down or me.. If your skill level has you drifting the back or front wheel in corners then it will be a benefit otherwise not so much.

Take it easy, take it slow and you'll be fine.

You riding in a straight line? Have at it. Others saying they started on a large bike, likely never learned riding techniques or it took them far longer.

I started on a 900 ninja in the 80s so it took me a long time to get my skills/technique. Now I’m in the upper echelon after 500k motorcycle miles.

The real question is, "are you safe enough for the new Hayabusa."

I rode a very small bike when I was small and I rode a lot bigger bikes when I got big. I hadn't been on any bikes for 20 years except for occasional spins on the cruisers my dad owned. I got a ZX-14 and it was a whole new world so I was extremely cautious. I didn't go fast until the end of the second season of riding and even then, not too fast and not too often. I'd say you can handle a Hayabusa if your heart is set on that but expect to ride like a granny for a long time so you don't wreck it and hurt yourself. Seriously, when you first start out, go for 5 minute rides. Build up to 15 minute rides. I'm not exaggerating, you'll need mental rest after extremely short periods of riding. If you haven't ever ridden a sport bike, it's a lot different than a cruiser.

I don't know what the SIRS are but you're right, it's the weight that will get you, especially at low speeds but if your haling ass, that can get you in a lot of trouble too as well as the acceleration if you're not used to it. Wait a while until you know the bike before you go fast.

I have a Gen1 busa so IDK about how the newer one handles, but I believe the first two models were very forgiving under 5k RPM...
I'm more or less in the same mindset as those above me...start on whatever you feel comfortable with. The first motorcycle I ever rode was 200cc(?) at the basic rider course and then went straight to a 1000cc.

/\/\/\ I agree with all of the above...

As a former riding instructor, I would not recommend such a bike to a beginner due to weight and power....the Hayabusa is very docile at low (er) revs but the potential to unleash vast amounts of power can be tempting.....that is when a new rider can get into trouble as they haven't the experience. Experience and knowledge is a huge factor in motorcycling.

A saying I use all the time sums it up "it's all good until it isn't"

I know, I know, you guys are tired of seeing this old topic being discussed again and again in this forum since about 20 years ago. But, what about the new Busa? I read the description on the website and realized this is actually a pretty safe bike for everyone(if the rider is not an sugar); the only problem is the weight.

Please have a look at the Suzuki intelligent ride system features. If they weren't turned off, they've really made this bike a beginner-friendly one. Of course, it's just my opinion after reading the web page.

So the question is, is it true that the SIRS have made this bike safe even for beginners? (look at the Active Speed Limiter!)

I've ridden motorcycles for about two years, and I still consider myself a beginner. I understand that the mainstream view opposes beginners from getting on a Busa, but I still want to do so because I've fallen in love with it.

If you know anything about the SIRS on the new Busa, please leave a comment and tell me if it's really so wonderful, or is it just bullshit luring timid riders to buy their product.
If you want a busa, can afford it and whatever repairs you might have down the road, go get one. The bike won’t kill you, your right wrist and reckless behavior will. Just look into insurance coverage first so you don’t get a heart attack when you see the cost of full coverage for a new rider on a “sport bike”.

Welcome @Shabriri!

I've ridden motorcycles for about two years, and I still consider myself a beginner.

What bikes have you been riding? How many miles have you traveled? Have you spent time on crowded roads?

Quick Shift - Many members here, many who are highly experienced riders, absolutely love this feature. However, one should become highly proficient at shifting before ever asking the computer to do it for them.

For this and the rest of these control systems, and some alluded to this above, the systems can save your life if one is ham fisted and asking for trouble, and I will add during inclement weather should you choose to ride in such conditions. However the object is to learn riding techniques rather than rely on electronic assistants to compensate for a lack of skills and carefulness.

My personal opinion is to consider rider aids as immaterial to your vehicle purchase decisions.

Are you studying riding? I suggest for all riders to study books from Keith Code, Lee Parks, Nick Ienatch, and some of the others, and practice the techniques constantly. On any bike, in any given condition, doing so will make you safer than any onboard computer can assure.

Last edited:
This talk kind of makes me want to take a MSF course again. I really enjoyed the first and 2nd course I took 20yrs ago. I remember them telling us for the riding parts, it'll happen rain or shine. On my 2nd course, it was raining and we indeed still rode. Best experience I could ask for, after all the low speed maneuvers and such we did, I never hesitated to ride in the rain again.

This talk kind of makes me want to take a MSF course again. I really enjoyed the first and 2nd course I took 20yrs ago. I remember them telling us for the riding parts, it'll happen rain or shine. On my 2nd course, it was raining and we indeed still rode. Best experience I could ask for, after all the low speed maneuvers and such we did, I never hesitated to ride in the rain again.
They are amazing the ones that do our course are the same ones that train motorcycle cops around Canada and certify them. My one class was in a crazy down pour they didn't care! They even had a sandy part, I couldn't believe how much low speed skill I was missing! And how easy it is to maneuver a road king at slow speeds (under 5 km/h)and around super tight corners. Lots of clutch, a pile of revs and all back brake.

Being a former instructor and standing out in the pouring rain, I can tell you it wasn't fun.......but every time the riders came in they all had big smiles on their faces....

I'd sometimes hear a "weeee!" coming from them while practicing apexes....

I found it interesting that on many courses I'd have an older rider who was off a bike for a while and felt that doing a course would help build confidence....I talked the college into giving them this course free as they already had their motorcycle license.

Sadly, it took far too much of my time (every weekend from April to Oct) so I gave it up.

They are amazing the ones that do our course are the same ones that train motorcycle cops around Canada and certify them. My one class was in a crazy down pour they didn't care! They even had a sandy part, I couldn't believe how much low speed skill I was missing! And how easy it is to maneuver a road king at slow speeds (under 5 km/h)and around super tight corners. Lots of clutch, a pile of revs and all back brake.

EXACTLY! What everyone says about the MSF is true, even experienced riders will learn something. On the 2nd course, you can ride your personal bike for the riding part. Mine was a SV650S and it was what I used during the rain class.

I just hit up a coworker interested in riding and told him if he takes it, I'll go again with him.

OP
Based on personal experience of going from a 12 bhp twin straight to a I05 bhp six cylinder with a tripling of the weight, it's doable but wouldn't advocate it.
Only one real way to find out..

Hayabusa the most friendly motorcycle on this planet .
I know alot tiny girls, they did buying the busa as her first motorcycle .
See picture
240715452_559769588499452_8253184614047292308_n.jpg
219754099_356444392748543_5103336438366319477_n.jpg
243043817_910708029564176_6805419359013772745_n.jpg
240942933_236999894995340_1520195309174909409_n.jpg

ZX-6E was my first bike. At the time it was the only bike I rode other than the MSF bike at the course.

Made plenty of mistakes on that bike, and honestly could have gone with a smaller CC bike....but I went with something that I thought could last me for a few years.

Can the Busa be a beginners bike? Yes- depending on the individual. Every straight/corner/overtakes (etc.) outcome is governed by the riders experience and maturity, knowing that their right wrist control is key when learning. Would I recommend the Busa to someone I don't know well? No.

For our UK and Euro members that have HP/CC limits while young or learning- How do you feel that being mandated to ride a restricted 2-wheel vehicle affected your skills/confidence? Assume the progression helped make you the rider you are now?

Back