Johnnycheese

OB_falcon fool

Registered
Johnny:

I was wondering about the chain tensioner.
1) do the GSX-750 and the Hayabusa share the same tensioner?
2) Does the 98 750 have the same tensioner as the 99?
3) if the answer to question 2 is yes why were there no problem with the 98s?
4) How many '00 Hayabusas do you know of that have had a failure? (I am not talking bout people who post saying they have a failure. Some times I wonder about the people on this board. I remember the post about the fuel line coming off...then all of a sudden there was a rash of them comming off. Know what I mean? Some times I wish you had to have a vin # to be able to register for .org)

5)If the 98 and 99 have the same tensioner what did Suzuki change to have so much trouble in 99?

6) How hard is it to install a manual tensioner? How long does it take to do follow up adjustments?
7)Have there been any wrecks that have cause by tensioner failure?

8) At what speed does most tensioners fail? High or low rpm?

Thanks again for your thoughts and expert advice.

Falcon

[This message has been edited by falcon fool (edited 23 July 2000).]

Me too,JC, I want to know. Falcon, the tensioner is a breeze, and Im ordering mine tommorow [501 miles]. Not gonna take a chance. Do you have a service manual? It'll tell you how to remove the stock one.[Nothin too it] APE or Orient Express sell them I think. Im sure they provide installation and adjusting instructions. Damn Lofty,that really sucks,you got me scared!!! How about it JC? Had any trouble with the 2000s???

Warbird:
No I don't have a manual. I am also thinking of getting the manual tensioner. All this talk is scaring the crap out of me. I have almost 3500 miles no problem yet. Could you e-mail me the instruction to installation? or maybe like you said the manual one will have it with them. I waited to get a 00 hoping all the problems were solved, But it sounds like they are not.

Falcon Fool,Ill probably have mine red labled to work and I'll e-mail you the instruction sheet as soon as I get it.[Gotta choose the best one.] Or you can e-mail me a fax number and I'll fax the service manual pages over and the instruction sheet. See ya buddy. Gotta go,my daughter's calling me.[Read OIL CHANGE thread]

[This message has been edited by WARBIRD (edited 23 July 2000).]

warbird i received my APE TENSIONER LAST FRIDAY the directions say rotate motor forward until tensioner touchs chain then go 1/4 turn backwards and tighten i looked tonight just prop tank and its right there in clear sight

Soo,you rotate the engine forward to tighten the back side of the chain, then run it in till it touches, then back off a quarter turn and tighen the lock nut? Is that right?

Orr,do you rotate the engine forward till the chain touches the tensioner then turn the motor back a quarter turn[puting slack in the chain],then run the tentioner in till it touches and tighten the lock nut?

yes i assume you put bike on stand and put in gear and just turn rear wheel the rest is right. the directions are on the back of the tensioner

these are word for word
TO SET TENSIONER ADJUSTMENT, ROTATE THE ENGINE FORWARD WHILE SCREWING THE TENSIONER IN. WHEN YOU FEEL THE ENGINE TENSIONER PARTS(GUIDE, ROLLERS, ETC.)MAKE CONTACT WITH THE MOVING CAM CHAIN , BACK THE TENSIONER BOLT UP 1/4 TURN AND TIGHTEN JAM NUT.
CAUTION
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE CAM CHAIN AS CAM CHAIN DAMAGE GUIDE COULD OCCUR. BE SURE JAM NUT IS TIGHT AGAINST TENSIONER BODY WHEN COMPLETE.

Not the same tensioner as the 750.
IO now have heard of 1 2000 that failed .
the ones of the 99's that have ailed majority have been at low RPM deacell.

If I have time today I have finally received my OEM tensioner that was Back ordered from Suzuki.
I had posted a while back about my updated one was not making nosie but when I was adjusting my valves I notice something weird so I called SWuzuki and they sent me another one.
Mine will going back to Japan tomorrow morning

I think I get it.

Do you need it to reinstall, or can I just not alter the OEM and replace exactly as it comes off (2 side bolts??)

Nuts

Back