Knocking in engine

OB_LeeMI

Registered
I'm a newbie and the bike has around 400 miles on it( yr 2000). I hear a periodic rapid knocking coming from the right side of the bike(as you sit on it) right near the idle adjuster, just in front of it. It is most prominent when cold but I think I can hear it also when warmed up. Is this a valve knocking I'm hearing? No mods to the bike.
Lee

When I got my bike I heard it to, in fact I still hear it. I thought it was just the way the bike ran. But if any diff please post hear so I know if I should take it in.

I too have a 00 and it makes noise on right side. Tomorrow I am installing a manual cam chain tentioner. If it goes away I will post tomorrow night.

Lee, you got cam chain tenioner problems. If I were you I would get it looked at RIGHT AWAY!

Don't even ride anymore untill you do!

Frank,
Thanks for the heads up! What would be the signs of a failure in the cam chain tensioner? Just for my info. Thanks.
Lee

um, I think valves would be entering piston heads and pistons would be arguing with them over who ocupies the space.!

Frank is right. Get it checked out.

If it fails while riding, well, I think you can guess the consequences.

Nuts

I can paint an accurate picture of what can happen when a tensioner lets go. You get to replace;
4 pistons
16 valves
any number of connecting rods
some of the valvetrain buckets
maybe a cam or two (if the lobes get chipped)
nicked up cylinder walls
likely a few retainers.

If your bike is still under warranty, get their replacement part. Its junk as well, but its new junk. And watch it for eventual failure. If your bike isnt under warranty (or the day after the warranty expires) get a manual adjuster.

never seen a valve win a pissin contest with a piston, piston always wins. Had a 40 over 350 with domed 12.5:1 pistons once, timing chain jumped...ugly.

I installed the cam chain tentioner and noise is gone. Chain is adjusted and no more worries. But there was a problem with the ape manual tentioner. The ajusting screw was too long and hit the frame. I had to cut the screw down and drill a new dowel into the nut. But it was easy to do if you have drill press availible.

Back