Let me know what you think

05blkbusa

Registered
hey i know it isnt about a 1/4 mile, but the best i can do... last friday i went to a local 1/8 mile track. my best run was a 7.09 @ 106 (twice) a 7.18, 7.33(first run at a strip ever), and a 7.23.

how does that look for first time out??

all 60' were no better than 1.79

2005 with the stock can mod and lowered.

any suggestions on what to do or is that about right for 1/.8th mile on a busa??

Looks pretty good... the 106 in the 1/8 isn't bad at all for a stock Busa. Your 60' can get better. Your losing a 10th or two there. straps and links, soft tire, one tooth down. All cheap mods. Good job and have fun.

i got it lowered with links, stock bridgstone that hooked hard track was really sticky, and what do you suggest for one tooth down and where to get and approximate price??

go two up in the rear n leave the front alone, try Vortex or Driven sprockets (internet or Parts Unlimited). get the front strapped if it aint already, and make sure you're launching at like 6k rpms...i know it sounds nuts, but if you can slip the clutch n keep on the power in first to redline n shift rite, you'll shave at least a tenth or two off your 60', and even more off 1/8 mi. times.
goodluck n keep the rubber on tha ground!
smile.gif

hey thanks ill have to get a different sprocket.... yea i was launching alot different everytime to see what worked best i seen slipping works the best

thanks

<!--EDIT|arey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152132084 -->

what size is the stock sprocket??
40T is the stock final sprocket on an '05 (40/17).  You should be going through the 8th just about on the rev limiter in second with your trap speeds based upon my experiences.  You might be just running out of second prior to clearing the speed traps so, you could pull a LOT more gear if you are going to just run the 1/8th. Even if you go 42/16, your 3rd gear will hit the limiter up about 122, or so. To run the 1/8th, people must have huge rear sprockets with a 16T up front, and, even then it appears that they would only use the first 3 gears. My '05 with stock tires hits the stock rev limited at 137 actual in 3rd, so to hit the limiter at 110 in 3rd, for example, you'd have to gear the bike 80% shorter than stock. That would be 47/16 gearing. Of course, this would drop your governed 6th gear stop speed to about 147, but, I would reckon that you could pull some wicked wheelies out on the street, even lowered.
I wish I could get a 1.79 60' time.

<!--EDIT|Tetge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150919194 -->

hey thanks tetge.... and no its not going to be just 1/8th mile... just thats the closest track around here... mainly just cruise and ocassional track days. make a trip or two to the 1/4 track in kansas city. but just want a lil more off the line you know.. and yea a few runs was on the limiter in second

thanks for the info

adam

Stock Busa with a Full pipe and PC. I weigh 230#s. With stock gearing (17/40) I went through the traps at 137-138mph in 3rd on the rev limiter. 1/8 was 109mph. I changed to a 16/40 and dropped 1/2 mph. Times went down. I don't remember what rpm I went through in 4th. 1/8 mph 110-111

I changed to a 16/42 and I’m still going through in 4th, getting close to the 10,600 (actual) shift point. Mph back up to 137.88.   I don’t like the 16/40 on the street. It is not as smooth. When I pull the race tire, I’m going to slip a 17/40 or 17/42 back on it.

I'm running 6.5-6.6 1/8 @ usually 110.5-111.2mph
Mid 1.6 or low 1.7 60s   best 1/4s 10.12-10.20

<!--EDIT|Professor
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150925806 -->

I run LACR (2710' altitude) with my basically stock '05 and I have tried all the combos of 16T/17T counter sprocket and 40/41/42T rear sprockets over the past year.  My bike is at stock ride height on OEM tires and set up kind of firm for canyon carving and I have always left the suspension setting alone.  I am admittedly a poor bike drag racer, which makes it challenging and it has continued to hold my interest.  But, I found that the stock gears worked best for me since I go through at a max of just over 135 and that is just about done in 3rd (you average the speed over the last 60' so you are actually going faster than the trap speed when you cross the finish line).  I know I am going good when I hit the limiter in 3rd just after I cross the finish line.
Even 16/42 left 4th gear not wound out at LACR and the bike wanted to wheelie a lot more than with the stock gears. My experiments indicated that overall, I was not going any quicker or faster with the shortest gearing I had and, any other changes, including +1 T on the rear sprocket meant that I had to shift to 4th to get through the traps since 3rd would hit the limiter.
I live up in the Mojave Desert where we have to go 20 miles each way just to get to a store or bike shop and I found that the stock gearing also was nice and relaxing when you are covering distances.
So, ultimately, I decided that fully using 3 gears right almost to the rev limiter was better than partially using 4 gears.  
But, as I stated, I suck at launching and, although I have improved slightly, my ET's are still less than impressive.
#111 on my best run ever made recently with 4200' DA (I was racing a quad who grabbed quite a head start but who ran out of gear before the end of the 1/4).

<!--EDIT|Tetge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150945923 -->

Down.jpg

I run a 16/45 when i go to the 1/8th mile track. It works well for me. The only problem I have is that I have to swap out to a 16/40 or 16/42 for street riding. You can run around town with the 16/45 gears but out on the HWY you get a nasty vibration thru the bars since the engine is wound up higher than usual. I have spent enough time and money at the track to be confident in saying that gearing is the cheapest and easiest way I have found to drop your times. You will have to experiment with several combos, first i would put a 16t up front and try it out. If you want more try a 42t rear but keep in mind that a larger sprocket in the rear will shorten your wheelbase unless you get a longer chain so it will be harder to keep the bike on the ground. I think that hayabusazone still has a NOS kit on sale for $289 or so if you want to take your bike into the low 6's or even the high 5's.

Your times look good and i am glad you are having a good time with it. Even in it's current form, you bike will easily go into the mid 6's with a little practice and maybe a few pointers from the other bikers at the track. The main number you should care about is that 60ft time, you get that down and the rest will just fall into place.

Back