Michelin Road 6

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Posted this a few other places, however let’s start a new tire thread.

Had new tires mounted by CycleGear April 14th.

Back was a 55 aspect ratio.

They needed 1 1/2oz balancing weights each, that is 6 weights on each wheel. Apparently that is OK, my Pirellis which came off the bike only needed one 1/4oz weight on each wheel.

I installed the wheels, made sure everything from bearings, seals, calipers, pads and alignment is perfect.

Tires were manufactured in Spain.

Soon as I remove hands from the bars, the bike pulls left. Have to do a pretty good body lean to the right, to keep the bike going straight. Never had this before. Did a Google and yep, lots of links same issue. Pulling left. Some even complain about the back swerving at high speed.

Called Michelin yesterday, they called me back this morning. Sounds like a lady from far East Asia. Had to help her spell Hayabusa.

She paused me for a while, then came back and said we have an issue, because the rear is specified as a 50 and I put on a 55. I explained to her that I have been riding 55’s for years, no issues, so do many others.

She paused me for a while once more.

Came back, gave me a case number and told me to take the wheels back to CycleGear, they will inspect and handle the warranty with their distributor.

Will update this once I have time for the next step.

So the run around begins.

Manager at the Cycle Gear store says he has never heard of anything like this before in the 15 years he managed the store.

He does not know how to contact the distributor, because his tires comes from the main warehouse from Cycle Gear.

I emailed him the case number, he says he will try and help and reach out to Cycle Gear HQ to see what and if he can do anything.

We shall see, and I will persevere.

When you start feeling like this....it's never good....

Hamster.jpg

This is probably starting to get boring, but here goes.

Michelin Motorcycle tires are distributed by Western Power Sports in the US.

So now Cycle Gear has to deal with WPS, who in turn has to deal with Michelin to figure out where to go from here.

I'm curious if people just accept this kind of stuff and live with it, because it is all over the internet. We shall persevere, even if it means contacting DOT from a safety perspective.

OK, so here is the final scoop.

Between Michelin, WPS and CycleGear, they have asked that I bring the wheels back, they will remove the tires and give me a full refund.

Then they will fit whatever else I want and I pay for the next set.

So what do you guys suggest I put on the bike, looking for mileage rather than carving twisties?

I've run many different versions of Battleax tires.....ever since the name Battleax was a thing in the mid '80s

I was sponsored by Bridgestone while racing so I guess I'm still loyal to them. I had good luck with the S21Rs I had now I have S22Rs on the Bumblebee...the Michelins I had on there before wore oddly...

I did have Dunlops on my Yamaha bikes though...my RD, RZ and FZR all had Dunlops on them but that was old, old tech.....

I was happy with my Pirelli Angle GT, but the mileage sucked.

I saw someone complain that the GT2 profile follows grooves on the pavement.

Bridgestone Battlax Sport touring 32 ?

What about Metzler?

Or Dunlop?
Cant recommend the Metzeler Roadtec 01 highly enough! They also have a new Roadtec 02 out but it is so new I havent read any (decent) reviews of it yet. Both are available in 190/55-17 Im running the 01's right now and like them alot.

I'm having the same issue. I had the road5s on my FZ10, two rears and they were great. This is seriously disappointing.

I'm having the same issue. I had the road5s on my FZ10, two rears and they were great. This is seriously disappointing.
I use to do QA for Mercedes back in the day, part of it was vendor development and quality control. A lot of folks are having this issue with the Road 6. Mine were made in Spain, and it appears as if the final process where the tire goes into the mold is where it happens. I believe they have an issue with the mold.

I would be surprised if not all the Road 6's from Spain does this, think some folks just don't notice it.

Back