My drain plug WTF?

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Poked my head under the Gen3

WTF is this voodoo magic? I just want a normal drain plug. Does your Gen 3 have this? This is a mod?

20230701_081041~2.jpg

20230701_081050~2.jpg

20230701_080637~2.jpg

Fumoto's product selector shows these valves through the Gen 2 years. It appears like the adjustable one (rotates to any position on install so that the drain can face any directionion) is what you have:

Fumoto Valves - Hayabusa.png

One typically hooks a tube up to the valve, sending oil straight to a container.

My interest is that I have a Fumoto valve on my wish list for the car. Given the critical nature of the bike, some may be curious about this. I asked about maintenance and replacement gaskets as I like having spares of all critical parts:

"Once a valve is installed it should not be removed. It does not need to undergo maintenance. The F108SX (a car version) has two O-rings. One on the body of the valve and one on the bolt. These do not need to be replaced. Because of this, we do not sell them separately."

I love my fumoto valve I use on my Tacoma. Stick a hose on the end, run to a container, pull the plastic handle lock and open the valve. Let it drain while you do everything else and then close and replace the plastic lock and done. I don’t change oil as often on the busa to feel the need to install one of those.

I love my fumoto valve I use on my Tacoma. Stick a hose on the end, run to a container, pull the plastic handle lock and open the valve. Let it drain while you do everything else and then close and replace the plastic lock and done. I don’t change oil as often on the busa to feel the need to install one of those.
I have something similar on my garden tractor....sure makes oil changes easy and simple...

I change the oil on a tractor one of the seniors has and it is a PITA without this...

I have something similar on my garden tractor....sure makes oil changes easy and simple...

I change the oil on a tractor one of the seniors has and it is a PITA without this...
I’m not sure why they complicate oil changes on lawn equipment. My cousin’s “deer” was kind of a PITA too when I used to do the maintenance for her. On the Tacoma, I run an aftermarket skid plate that goes from the lower radiator support to the transmission crossmember and the fumoto valve makes it easy for me to just stick a hose through the hole they put on the plate and then reach from the side to connect the hose and open the valve. I’m not an off-roader but the undercarriage protection helps me sleep better at night since catalytic converter theft is real down here. Just ask @c10 about the poor lady at the hotel he stayed when he was down here. :sad:

I’m not sure why they complicate oil changes on lawn equipment. My cousin’s “deer” was kind of a PITA too when I used to do the maintenance for her. On the Tacoma, I run an aftermarket skid plate that goes from the lower radiator support to the transmission crossmember and the fumoto valve makes it easy for me to just stick a hose through the hole they put on the plate and then reach from the side to connect the hose and open the valve. I’m not an off-roader but the undercarriage protection helps me sleep better at night since catalytic converter theft is real down here. Just ask @c10 about the poor lady at the hotel he stayed when he was down here. :sad:
I was servicing my friend's Lawn Boy push mower and it has no drain plug...the manual says to take the filler tube out and tip it on it's side to drain the oil....all I could picture was a big mess...I use my Mitivac on it

I was servicing my friend's Lawn Boy push mower and it has no drain plug...the manual says to take the filler tube out and tip it on it's side to drain the oil....all I could picture was a big mess...I use my Mitivac on it
That engineer deserves to be forced to stand behind the owner so he gets elbowed in the jewels every time the owner pulls the string to start the mower for such design.:banghead:

That engineer deserves to be forced to stand behind the owner so he gets elbowed in the jewels every time the owner pulls the string to start the mower for such design.:banghead:
It sure had me scratching my head.....

Even with the lawn tractor the senior lady has, the oil drain plug is situated so the oil hits the frame and is impossible to capture it all....I put an extender on the drain....it was almost as if changing the oil was an afterthought.....those engineers need the same "jewel-whacking" treatment.

....it was almost as if changing the oil was an afterthought.
That's exactly what happened. When we design a building we check to make sure it can be built with collision detection. We even have service zones built into the models of valves and equipment so a conflict will show up if something can't be accessed or fit. A lot of stuff gets designed and people assume it can be serviced. They let the customer discover the puzzle created by how it was designed.

That's exactly what happened. When we design a building we check to make sure it can be built with collision detection. We even have service zones built into the models of valves and equipment so a conflict will show up if something can't be accessed or fit. A lot of stuff gets designed and people assume it can be serviced. They let the customer discover the puzzle created by how it was designed.
A sad reality.....

Now my garden tractor is a model of simple maintenance...everything is accessible and well thought out.

Most new cars you have to remove a half dozen panels and parts just to get the filter off.
This valve for bikes looks nice but my panic driven ocd would probably prevent me from feeling comfy with it. ‘They are out to drain your oil!’ would be the constant voice in my head right after ‘They know you have an easy drain valve on your bike’ came out. :)

Most new cars you have to remove a half dozen panels and parts just to get the filter off.
This valve for bikes looks nice but my panic driven ocd would probably prevent me from feeling comfy with it. ‘They are out to drain your oil!’ would be the constant voice in my head right after ‘They know you have an easy drain valve on your bike’ came out. :)
lmao. I’m the same way… also would look at every driveway and be thinking “I’m going to rip that valve off… this is it… this is the time it comes off”

I've seen them leak through the valve seal in car applications. For something which has an easy-to-access drain plug like the 'Busa, the convenience isn't enough of an incentive for me to want to run one.

Besides, I prefer to have the OEM magnetic drain plug catching bits of metal on our shared-sump bikes.

Back