Need Mod Opinion

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
I'm doing alot of upgrades to Gretchen & figgure I may as well change up the handling. I got New Pilot Powers 120/190 and gonna switch out to a 43T sprocket. Most of my riding is Hwy, but I love cornering, but dont want to give up to much top end stability/ this is the reason I went with a 190 instead of a 180 on the rear. Is there a good compromise, or am I expecting too much?

Ive read some different theroies on this issue, and thought I would present the question again.

Would raising the Rear +1, and lowering the front 3/4" with new Trees give me the results Im looking for (better turning but still stable at higher speed)?

Will lowering the front end make the bike turn in quicker, or slower?

How much should I lower the front if any?

Im guessing the new tires over stock will be a change in itself, but since i have a few months of down time, I want to get the mods done now.

I dont have money to waste, so before I buy anything I want to make sure the parts I buy will give me the results Im looking for.

From what I have heard, I would be hesitant to lower the front. Some people can scrap the plastics at the stock ride height, so if you like to ride the corners hard I wouldn't do it. As for the rear, raising it is the next thing I have planned. Supposed to help turn in faster.
biggrin.gif

I have been thinking about the same thing for almost a year. I would raise both the rear 1 and front .5 and go to 180 to make it quicker in the corners. I'm not going to go that route until the bikes weight is reduced more however.

You'd be amazed a how much nicer the Busa turns with just the rear raised. Lowering the front while raising the rear would make your steering inputs very sensitive and make the bike actually feel unstable at moderate to high speed maneuvering.

When making suspension changes remember to make one change at a time and test ride, then another. You'd be surprised how far off you could throw your set-up and bike when making multiple changes making it a pain to get back to a baseline.

You'd be amazed a how much nicer the Busa turns with just the rear raised. Lowering the front while raising the rear would make your steering inputs very sensitive and make the bike actually feel unstable at moderate to high speed maneuvering.

When making suspension changes remember to make one change at a time and test ride, then another. You'd be surprised how far off you could throw your set-up and bike when making multiple changes making it a pain to get back to a baseline.
You pin pointed my concerns exactaly. Maybe I will just start with 1" + in the rear, readjust my front, and ride it for awhile. I would hate to make too many changes and than find out while riding things are way off. It would become quite a guessing game trying to figgure out which change is the problematic/ dangerous issue with too many changes being made at one time.

thanks
smile.gif

Im sure you'll really enjoy it. I had mine up but that little bit of height was out weighed by the wheelie factor to me. Dont get me wrong wheelies are fun but constant battles to earth the front wheel became a pain while riding aggresivly. You will definitly have that bike up on one with a gear change and raise-up. I did have simalar results with a stock height bike and slightly pointier more agressive tires. Metzeller Rennsports were by far a favorite but I will be sticking to the Pilot Powers they seem to wear better than the 1000 mile and toss' Rennsports.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1135666194 -->

I raised the rear of mine and left the front alone. Quickened the turn in quite a bit, but retained the high speed stability. I have atleast 10k miles on the raising links now. The original plan was to install the links for a trip to the mountains and remove them when I returned home to the land of flat & straight. They worked out so well, I left 'em on for good.

Back