New trailer, but slight problem...

Jet Li

What is the AWESOME????
Donating Member
Registered
So i picked up a new car hauler today everything was good except I found that the tail lights don't come on. The brake lights, emergency flashers, and turn signals all work, but no tail lights....

Any ideas?

Trailer ground, or if the lights are dual filiment it could be the bulbs. Also make sure the connection is not wet . wet salty roads can cause problems. Just guessing but these are all easy things to check.

it was built on a friday before a long weekend, so the wire got messed :laugh::laugh:

When I bough mine, the brake wire was connected to the lights, so I was out the first time it got dark and on my truck the lights come on by them selves..... so.... :whistle: so you can figure out what happened
So I had to disconnect, pull the light plug and then go home

So yea, maybe it's just mixed in the connection or junction box

Tom, take a set of jumper cables and hook one to the clean steel area of the trailer and the other end to the truck. That will ground it good and tell you if that's the problem or not.

If the tail lights are the only thing that do not work there is a number of things that can be wrong:

1) a wire is damaged, cut, or just not connected properly in the trailer
2) maybe something in the connector where your plug in the trailer is not touching.
3) the tail light wire that goes to the connector where you plug your trailer in is damaged, cut, or not connected somehow (can be easily canceled out by using a plug tester or hooking up another trailer)

As mentioned above the bulbs could be bad but I am assuming they are LED as its a new trailer. If you didnt buy LED you bought the wrong trailer! :laugh:

If your truck has a trailer towing package there are 2 fuses for the marker/tail lights 1 for the truck and the other for the 7 way plug. Your owners manual will show the location of the fuse in the fuse box. A test light is a good way to figure this out. Just my 2 cents...

If your truck has a trailer towing package there are 2 fuses for the marker/tail lights 1 for the truck and the other for the 7 way plug. Your owners manual will show the location of the fuse in the fuse box. A test light is a good way to figure this out. Just my 2 cents...

Mine too. I had this happen this summer with a trailer I was towing. It shorted out the circuit and blew both fuses in the truck. I had replaced one of them and then figured out tere were two of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My F-150 has the same thing. Separate fuses for the trailer lights. I rewired my trailer 2 times before i figured this out! :banghead:

Thanks fellas, will start with the fuses, then check for grounding, then the rest of the suggestions. Really appreciate it. Will post a few pics later today.

I purchased one a couple years ago brand new, towed it home only to find the brakes lights worked but not the tail/running lights. They worked when I left, but went out on the way home.

Turns out the wiring was faulty from the manufacturer. Fixed under warranty.

Thanks all, it turned out to be just a little 30amp fuse!! So, fixed. Gonna go get a new spare 30amp.

Now camera is dead, will try and get pics up tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

As long as the car and the busa fit, the rest is a minor problem :)

Besides Tom, you are bringing it to Redneck Heaven (the Bash) anyway, don't you know most of us Rednecks don't bother with trailer lights (we just use our arms anyway)!

As long as the car and the busa fit, the rest is a minor problem :)

Besides Tom, you are bringing it to Redneck Heaven (the Bash) anyway, don't you know most of us Rednecks don't bother with trailer lights (we just use our arms anyway)!

:laugh::laugh:

Back