New (used) '99 Engine - 2000 Hayabusa

RattleSnakeNate

Registered
Hey all! First post and general discussion for y'all.

Background: Owned my 2000 Hayabusa Gen 1 since 2015, in 2020 the engine gave out on me on my way back home from work. Further investigation (as shown) was cavitation and a shear in my reduction gear housing. Later to find out they make sleeves for these. After some time and coming back to America in 2024, I managed to buy a 1999 Buss eBay motor. After I get done moving in a few months, I plan to drop the old motor and install the used (17k miles).

Besides labeling and marking things as I go through disassembly, is there anything else I should keep note of? I have the service manual on my phone as well. This will be the first time pulling a motor out of anything. Also, any recommendations on things to look for or install on the used motor, or the bike while the engine is out?

Currently, I plan to flush everything, replace the fuel pump, install the titanium sleeve, and replace the chain (inspect my sprockets). Once the engine is installed, I'll take it to the shop and have the fork seals replaced and get new brake pads. (Bike has been in a crate for 4 years)

Questions I have:

1. Should I take the used engine to a shop to have them inspect the valves? Or is this something I can do myself (with no knowledge besides forums/YouTube)

2. For the engine removal tool, looking online I've seen combination or 2 seperate (diameter specs) with 3/8th drives. Does one out perform the other? Would you recommend just the combination off of Schnitz?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this over and providing any advice. Ride safe out there

Edit: I do not want to do anything crazy like Turbo or staged what ever. This is just my, I love to ride as much as possible bike and turn some eyes or WOT down an empty highway.

-Nate
14446084_10154530232054847_4195100882469506175_n.jpg

20190914_152732.jpg

I have no idea, but just thinking aloud, could the sleeve be placed over that and be good? Or welded? Unless other parts got beat up too

I have no idea, but just thinking aloud, could the sleeve be placed over that and be good? Or welded? Unless other parts got beat up too
No, this is my older engine I plan to remove in a few months. The new (used) engine will have this part intact and the sleeve will go over that

A really good tig job may fix it temporarily, but the torque from the starter may then find the next weakest part in the cast, and break there.

Back