No Spark, not starting

LizzChris

Registered
Hy everyone, I am also new ro the forum and already found some good advice to check
The problem I have is with a Gen1. The engine itself wasn't running for quit a long time so the sparkplug had to be replaced first.
Now, after turning the key, there are around 3 sec of working fuel pump and 12v at the cable connecting to the fuel injection. After this time, it completely stops, no more power arriving. When we try to start it, it sounds like it really wants to, but without gas and spark, absolutely no chance. Checking the wiring over and over again, but as I am not a electrician - any ideas?
Thanks so much

Hi, when turning the key ON the fuel pump will prime for a few seconds, then stops when the fuel pressure is at it's optimum in the fuel rail up to the injectors . . this is normal.
When cranking the engine over with the starter motor the pump starts running again, you need to measure the voltage at the battery terminals, while cranking. . . . the battery voltage should not drop below 10V.
If the battery is tired and old it will drop the voltage below 10v and that is when the spark at the plugs struggles and the fuel keeps spraying into the combustion chamber and will likely foul the plugs with fuel and even wash the oil off the cylinder liner causing low compression, adding to the problem.
If you can get jumper leads on it, hooked up to a good strong battery, it will probably start.
Let us know how you go with it . . Kiwi.

Welcome and sad to hear of this....

We need a little more background in order to give any assistance...

How long was the bike sitting

What have you done to it to bring it out of storage (other than spark plugs)

How many miles on the bike

A few things could be causing your issue all the way from a weak battery to a clogged fuel system to bad coils, etc, etc.....

Basically what you are asking of us is the same as going to the doctor and telling them "it hurts" there would be a myriad of questions..

Back