No Tank, No Ride (Bucking Busa at Rest)

T-Rav

Registered
Well Org family I took my tank off yesterday and removed the fuel pump. I couldn't see the damage when I got done cause it was dark so the first thing I did when I got home today was gave it a look. She's bad. There are literally flakes of rust in there. :banghead: So I'm thinking the best bet to be on the safe side is replace the tank and pump. I found a pump on bikebandits and there talking $500+. Tanks are looking $150+ minus the paint match. I can't do either one of these right now. So much for being a year round rider. God will Bless me with the parts or $$$ when HE's ready:please:; until then you'll have fun riding keep them up right and Be Better Than Blessed. :thumbsup:

P.S. I don't guess I'll be needing those Chaps. :rofl:

Keep checkin on those fuel pumps 'cause you can probably find something on eBay or the board for much less. Hopefully it won't be too long before you're riding again.

Keep your eyes open. I have never paid more than $100 for a tank. Should be able to get a pump for around $50-$100.

Don't know the total condition of your pump but you can get a new filter for about $190 and maybe the strainer is serviceable?, its about $43 new.

10155_14.jpg

What year is it? I have an orange 08 that I'm swapping the tank on because it has a couple of small scratches on it. I could sell it cheap if this helps.???

I think he said in another post the bike is four years old I believe. However, the person he bought if from went to jail shortly after purchasing the bike and it sat for a couple years. I think he said it only has between 400-500 miles on it. Hope that helps.

if you dont find anything by March 09 time frame you can have my pump off of my 05.
Ill be replacing it, so all you gotta do is pay shipping and it yours.:thumbsup:

What year is it? I have an orange 08 that I'm swapping the tank on because it has a couple of small scratches on it. I could sell it cheap if this helps.

The bike is an 04. Thanks anyways.

Does anyone know of anything that just destroys rust? I know they have a 2-3 stage kit that like desolves it then puts a gel type coat on to help prevent further damage; but I heard that isn't that great.??? But what I'm thinking is that if I could just completely rid the tank of the exsisting rust and keep the tank full of gas from there after then the tank wouldn't have room to rust again. The way it was explained to me is that rust comes from space in the tank leaving room for oxygen and moisture to mix and settle as rust.??? So I figure if I can get rid of all the exsisting rust then keep the tank full so there's no room for oxygen then no more rust can form?!? Am I in the ball park, anyone?:poke:

...There are literally flakes of rust in there.

i would take the tank someplace and get it coated inside. check motorcycle and even radiator shops.

if it doesn't perform to your satisfaction (i've never had a problem on other bikes) then you are looking at getting a different tank anyway and this should be less than $50 most anywhere.

this is why I was suggesting a tear down before dumping any cleaners in the system, the crud comes loose and ends up killing injectors (they still need to come out
btw)..

Check your local marine dealers, they usually know of a shop(s) that do tank coatings.. Personally? I would just find a new tank.. the cost of cleaning/coating the existing tank is not going to be that great a savings to put up with the hassle and down time.. (you also have to deal with the good possibility of paint damage through the process)

Get the injectors out (and flowed) and finish cleaning out the rest of the fuel system..

Glad you found the problem...

Oh and yes, ALWAYS store bikes or any other fuel burning device with a FULL tank of fuel.. The rust comes from the temperature changes that happen every day.. As the air contracts inside the tank it draws in the air from the outside world and the moisture that is in it.. That moisture condenses on the inside of the tank and the air gets pushed out as the tank warms.. Next day, same thing.. This is not a big deal for a few weeks at a time but over months or even years? yuk.... also the fuel will stay a bit less oxidized and the varnish wont form any where near as fast (stabil is a good product to add for over the winter storage)

Last edited:
Here is a public service announcment. when you store your bike/car/boat/anything with a motor make sure you have a full tank of gas and some StayBill.. Or you will end up like our friend. To bad the previous owner/dealership didn't know this.

I do hear a lot of good things about the tank treatments.. i'd go for it.. worse case.. you're out 30 bucks at the chance of saving 120.

i would take the tank someplace and get it coated inside. check motorcycle and even radiator shops.

if it doesn't perform to your satisfaction (i've never had a problem on other bikes) then you are looking at getting a different tank anyway and this should be less than $50 most anywhere.

Definitely do this, I had 2 tanks with rust in them and both were done and are still running 4 plus years later. Both are in trucks(one diesel one gas) don't use them much. The local radiator shop did mine. It's a green coating, took about a day for them to do. Very cheap to have done.

I treated the tanks on my Harley with Kreem’s three step treatment back in 88 and they’re still in service today with zero problems*. The tanks were custom painted with a flame job and I didn’t damage any of the surfaces during the process. Just follow the directions – carefully, and you shouldn’t have any trouble. I’ve heard of folks rushing the application process or not following the steps in the instructions and having problems but I can state from personal experience the treatment works well and is durable. *I will however confess one boneheaded problem I suffered long after the first application. Last winter I was re-doing a bunch of stuff on the bike and I decided to clean the gas residue from the tanks which had been sitting for a couple years. So, I poured acetone in and swirled it about hoping to clean them out… Big mistake! Acetone is the solvent in Kreem and even old treatments like mine will dissolve. Opps! Crap! Whatwazzeyethinkin..!? Oh well, I got more acetone, soaked the inside of the tanks, rinsed the old Kreem out and started over. Now they’re good as new, and again I caused no damage to the painted surfaces and have no rust. Lesson learned. So, I now have more experience coating tanks than I wanted but I’m happy to share my lessons. Good luck, I hope you’re back in the wind soon.
-Jim

Back