NON BIKE RELATED ~ I NEED HELP

ICEMANN

Registered
As dumb as this sounds for a motorcycle board Im at wits end.

I have a large porcelin propane grill. Im remodeling/rebuilding my deck. On the new deck Im building the grill into the deck with counters on both sides. The grill is located pretty close to the spot in the house where the gas lines are for the furnace etc.

What do I need to do to convert my grill over to natural gas.

Ive contacted the grill company with....We wont encourage or discourage the answer to that question due to liability reasons.

My gas line already has a t-valve near the exterior wall from the previous owner. If I run flex tubing (gas line of course) from the T-valve thru the exterior wall under the deck and up behind the grill to a shut off. Then from the shut off to the "part needed" then to the grill will I need to do anything else? The total run of flex hose is about 12-15 feet. Is there a "pressure" concern I need to meet with the gas? Im sure the regulator is different but I have no clue.

Cant proceed any further with the deck until this is handled.

ICE

Hey Ice -

Just my two cents.. I don't mess with gas.. I get a plumber..

In my life I worked with lots of compressed volatile gases and liquids (liquid oxygen, liquid Nitrogen) in work environments.

for me, when it comes to natural gas issues, if it is not REAL simple. I call a plumber out, for one they know what they are doing, and for two, if they screw up you have someone to go after. (legally of course)

If you dont want to get a plumber then maybe go to Home Depot and get a book on natural gas projects.

Good luck

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093733951 -->

I dont mind calling someone when it's out of my league. Except here where I live I get the "I DUNO" answers. It cant be that hard.

ICE

If you have natural gas to your home, then you obviously have someone you pay to provide that gas. That's where you should start with your questions...BTDT..:)

Have to agree with thrasher, natural gas, or any volatile gas for that matter should be left to the experts. I wouldn't be so concerned with legal issues as blowing myself up or hurting my family. There is no amount of money that I could save to make that worthwhile. If unsure, I'd keep calling until I got a hold of someone that knew what they were doing.... Good luck and sorry I could't help.

dd

my gas company offers grills and their installation for sale, so definately check with your gas company. As soon as I fence in my yard, I'll be doing exactly what you are now
cool.gif

Here you go:

1) DON'T USE FLEX LINE! Use black pipe for outside, that's what it is ment for. My pop said Flex is OK (I'm talking with him about it now) but you have children. 'nuff said.

2) Pipe dope on all the joints

3) Put shut off valves everywhere! 90 degree ball valves, get the gas ones, should have red handle.

4) The only change is to the orifice in the venturi tube. Pop says to go to a store that sells both propane and natural gas BBQ's and they 'll have the part. (Yes pop has done this before)

5) Pop said it is only worth it if you have a good grill. If you have a $69.95 POS just get the right grill.

Good luck!

Back