Odometer vs. Speedometer readings

_ZeF

Donating Member
Registered
I am thinking of installing a Speedohealer, now i understand that to set it right, you first have to know the margin of error of the meter. From what i understand, one way to calibrate it is to use road markings versus the odometer reading, than calculate the percentage of the difference to calibrate to device...

Now i am wondering... Is using the odometer for calibration good also for the speedometer calibration at the same time?? I think i read somewhere that those two were not synchronized or something, and that one of the two was less reliable. So my question is, do these 2 instruments use the same source for measuring? If so than i guess calibrating the speedohealer is quite easy.

Anyway, any advice will be good advice on this, thanks guys...
race.gif

Your odometer is right on, your speedometer is off by about +8%. Once you correctly set the SH, I would use a GPS unit, your bike will start registering less miles than it did before, about -8% to be exact and your speedo will be right on. But remember that when you use the high speed recall it clocks miles on your bike because it thinks it is going
rock.gif
while on. I t all meshs out with a little in your favor.
smile.gif

Miles per hour and speed are interrelated. If you correct the speedo there will be a corresponding reduction in miles.

Well thats good info justintime2, so i get it that while i am holding the recall button, the odometer is counting, in a way compensating a little bit for the -8% it lost to the speed calibration. Very interesting...

I guess the fuel consumption will also be -8% off then! Hehe, as long as your aware i guess its allright. Its not that long to switch back to initial settings i guess anyway if your on a trip and you'd rather have precise odometer reading...

Back