Oil filter wrench options

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Dropped the oil today in the beast, went to grab my oil filter wrench and it has gone MIA...dealer is obviously closed and not open on Sunday.

Anybody have any luck picking one of these up as Sears or Autozone or something or is it strickly dealer item??

Don't really want to go with a "strap" type but I guess I will if I have to.

I know Florida gets Huricanes and nasty weather but why would a guy need an oil filter wrench for the Busa? Ok, I know your gona say to take the filter on or off, but why must one put a filter on so tight?

Sometimes I use a little strap wrench to get the filter off, if Im having some issues & sorta tight clearence with the after-market headers, but I never use a filter wrench to put a filter on...hand tight plus a little nudge...take it for a spin around the block a few timew, and re-tighten.

Not knocking the way you do things, so no offense, and my father is the same way with his filter wrench, and if it aint torqued down via 100 psi, he thinks its gona blow off.

manual calls for 2 full turns after the gasket touches the block...did it that way to the letter the first time and no leak. Sounds like a plan...

I bought a RiteFit cap wrench from PebBoys.
It's a cap that fits over the filter and you use a 3/8" drive socket wrench with it. You will need a 3" extension and a swivel to get in between the pipes.
I sugest taking your filter with you and make sure you buy the size the fits.
The part number is A256 and it's only $2.99

Sometimes the cap slips a little and gets wedged on the filter, just hold the filter in your hand (after it cools down) and turn the wrench the other way and it will pop off.

Also lossen the filter and drain plug a little before you warm up the bike, less chance you will touch something hot.

I buy the filters that have the 'nut' welded to the end, stick on a ratchet and done deal. I think emgo makes them.

I bought my filter wrench at a local auto parts store, Murrys not sure if they are in MI. only though. Cost about 4.00

+1 for the Ritefit oil filter wrenches and the filters with a nut built in. In a bind, I have used an old belt: wrap it around the filter, pull belt and presto!

The manual does call for 2 full turns after contact of the filter's seal... Tighting it by hand that's about what you'll end up with...

I've owned 8 motorcycles and have always used only hand tightnening on oil filters and never has it leaked.

If ever your stuck with a tight filter and no special tool... A long screwdriver through it will help you start to unscrew it!

The manual does call for 2 full turns after contact of the filter's seal... Tighting it by hand that's about what you'll end up with...

I've owned 8 motorcycles and have always used only hand tightnening on oil filters and never has it leaked.

If ever your stuck with a tight filter and no special tool... A long screwdriver through it will help you start to unscrew it!
Cars and bikes That is what I have always done. Tight as I can by hand. Always have to loosen with channel locks. Never had a leaker yet.

Small strap wrench works great when you first encircle the oil filter with a strip of duct tape....no slippage. And to chime in with what many here have already said, only HAND TIGHTEN the filter when installing. Been doing this with cars and bikes since 1978 and have yet to have a leak!

Small strap wrench works great when you first encircle the oil filter with a strip of duct tape....no slippage. And to chime in with what many here have already said, only HAND TIGHTEN the filter when installing. Been doing this with cars and bikes since 1978 and have yet to have a leak!
I also use one of those rubber strap wrenches for removal and install. I have a few different devices that fit, but with the strap I don't have to go looking for the right length extension and swivel.

With the headers in place I don't see how anyone can get enough leverage to get two full turns by hand. I get maybe 1¼ by hand and the strap finishes the rest.

Unlike a car filter where you snug it up hand, the Suzuki filter states right on the side, 2 full turns after seal makes contact.

I read far more than one complaint about leaky filters from people who didn't follow those instructions.

Best case is you get a minor leak and notice the smoke at stoplights or drops of oil on the gargage floor. Now take the fairing off again, tighten the filter and clean everything.

Worst case, it loosens up while on the highway, oil runs back along the engine and most of it misses the headers so you don't notice the smoke, especially while travelling at a high rate of speed. Eventually your oil pressure light turns on to let you know your engine in trashed.
Taking the extra 2 seconds to do it right is worth it in imo.

Back