Opinions On NON Stock Rims

FAKK2

Registered
I am interested in new rims, these are my choices.

PVM Y5's

Street CF Wheels (including 6000 series alloy hub, stainless steel fittings with bearings): Front: 4.62 lbs; Rear: 5.94 lbs.

OR

Race Only CF Wheels with 7000 series alloy hubs including 7000 series alloy hub, lighter wheel, titanium fittings with bearings : Front: 4.4 lbs; Rear: 5.28 lbs.

I am seeking lightness, stregnth, low inercia, And ability to be used on street and track(drag/road).

<!--EDIT|HayaBusa Knight
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095547497 -->

Umm, Just from what I have read in pst but the CF wheels while looking totally badass are WAY too pricey. There are plenty of forged Ally and magnesium wheels that will give you serious handling improvements over stock that won't break the bank.

Also be carefull lopping off too much weight on your wheels. Lighter is good yeah, but if you get to light you are going to be seriously affecting the bikes stability.

Sport rider or one of the other Mags awhile back did a review on a bunch of wheels while the Carbon look cool and are the lightest wheels out there there weren't any with appropriate cush drives which I believe is why some of them were so lightweight. Could also be why many are not rated for street use. They are made to last through a race, not tolerate all the abuse they will recieve on the street.

I also wonder if drag racing is your passion if a super light front wheel might actually be bad for you, make your ride more wheelie happy.

smile.gif
Tell ya Warbaby, those carbon wheels do look really cool.

I want them to be able to be driven on the streets as well as can take them to the drag strip or to the track to road race.

I like the PVM Y5 Forged Magnesium(In Black Anodized) but also like these 2 as well.

Street CF Wheels (including 6000 series alloy hub, stainless steel fittings with bearings): Front: 4.62 lbs; Rear: 5.94 lbs.

OR

Race Only CF Wheels with 7000 series alloy hubs including 7000 series alloy hub, lighter wheel, titanium fittings with bearings : Front: 4.4 lbs; Rear: 5.28 lbs.

I am seeking lightness, stregnth, low inercia, And ability to be used on street and track(drag/road).

<!--EDIT|HayaBusa Knight
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095550821 -->

Tell ya Warbaby, those carbon wheels do look really cool.[/QUOTE] Thank you. Fortunately, they work just as well.
wink.gif

Also be carefull lopping off too much weight on your wheels.  Lighter is good yeah, but if you get to light you are going to be seriously affecting the bikes stability.[/QUOTE]

Mine's been to a buck-fifty with absolute stability.

Could also be why many are not rated for street use.[/QUOTE]

The BST street model is DOT Approved.

They are made to last through a race, not tolerate all the abuse they will recieve on the street.[/QUOTE]

As of a couple of months ago, there were at least 30 sets of BST street models running on street Busas' in the USA with zero structural failures. At an industry bike show a few months ago, a BST rep repeatedly bounced a CF rim off the floor (without a tire) like a basketball. Result: No damage!

CF rims carry less inertia at any given velocity than alloy rims. Therefore, a given street bump/shock imparts less stress to them because there is less inertia to overcome for the wheel to be compliant. And...unlike alloy rims, they have some resilience to help absorb such shock loads.  
smile.gif

Don't get carbon wheels unless you really can handle your bike, the weight difference is very noticeable and if you don't adjust your riding skills to it, you can get jack up bad. I've seen a few people get them and then Crash withing a day or 2 of having them on. Just my opinion though.

I want them to be able to be driven on the streets as well as can take them to the drag strip or to the track to road race.

I like the PVM Y5 Forged Magnesium(In Black Anodized) but also like these 2 as well.

OR

Bottom Line is I want something that will lighten up, be stronger than stock, be able to go from street to race track or drag strip and back to street. I am leaning towards PVM 5Y's cause their Inertia is very very low even lower than the Carbon Fiber Ones... But the difference in Weight vs Inertia does the intercia compansate for the increase weight of the Magnesium PVM Y5 Rims over the Carbon or Lighter will get the edge in the long run???

<!--EDIT|HayaBusa Knight
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095606119 -->

Hey WarBaby, Mostly that comment was about the Wheels marked (Race Only).  However, something that I find really interesting is how few Carbon wheels you see in racing.  They are just not present in any high numbers.  If they were the be all end all I would think they would be everywhere...
Hell Carbon isn't even allowed in AMA

3. Wheels may be replaced with aftermarket parts provided
they are not constructed of carbon fiber or carbon composites.
Maximum rear wheel rim width is 6.25".[/QUOTE]

Interesting... It could be a price consideration though.

I know Carbon Fiber is strong as hell, the concern however has allways been carbons inability to flex or bend. If I smack a Curb or something with my Ally wheels there is a good chance they will bend or otherwise deform when a carbon wheel will shatter or crack failing completely. This is what bothers me with current composites, the lack of forgiveness if something goes wrong. With an alloy wheel you might be able to ride it out, with a carbon wheel you might well be on your head.

Just my .2 nothing more. Just thinking is all.

If I were going to be putting on some aftermarket wheels I would find some forged Aluminum, I think they will be the best balance between cost and performance.

It's cool you haven't found any instability, I have no first hand experiance, it was just them guys at Motorcyclist noted that with many of the lightest wheels they bolted on their GSXR1000 they noticed a reduction in straightline stability...

I'm not trying to fug up your business though man, just wanted you to know where I was coming from.

I believe HayaBusa Knight, that it is the Wheels MOI that will lead to an increase in performance more so than over all weight. So yeah lower Inertia is better than than lower weight.

I believe...

I love a good, civilized, tech debate. It tends to keep everyone on their toes.

I'm not trying to fug up your business though man, just wanted you to know where I was coming from.[/QUOTE]
Understood--it has nothing to do with my business. I don't sell them. Nearly all of my "biz posts" occur in the Merchandise and Classified sections. I'm a Busa-loving member of the forum too!
cool.gif

If they were the be all end all I would think they would be everywhere... Hell Carbon isn't even allowed in AMA[/QUOTE]
Carbon rims are allowed in European racing and they are found on many of the winning bikes. The AMA ruling and the carbon wheel price are clearly the main reasons they are relatively rare in the US although a lot of serious Ducati guys are using them in the states for both street and track days.

I can see a possible stability problem on a GSXR1000 or on similar, extreme-handling sportbikes. The fine line between stability and quick steering is an engineering balancing act (pun intended) on these racy bikes and that fine balance can be easily disturbed. The Busa's longish wheelbase renders it less responsive (but more stable) and the CF rims work their magic well on them. The wheels do change the Busa handling traits substantially and adjustments must be made by the rider but I have observed no stability problems. It just changes directions much quicker and you better be paying attention.

I had RC aluminum rims on my Busa prior to the CF rims and they were a very noticeable improvement over the comparatively heavy, stock wheels. A change from stock to the ultra-light CF rims could be v-e-r-y dramatic for the rider and could get an inexperienced or inattentive rider in trouble. I had to make major adjustments to my riding technique... like staying really focused during directional changes. After a few recent runs through Deal's Gap with the CF wheels, I have adjusted and the handling improvement is just what I wanted for the big Busa. The bike feels (steers) like it just lost 125 pounds even though mine has only lost about 51 pounds. I owned a `99 and a `00 ZX9R prior to the Busa and rode both through the Gap several times. The busa now handles almost as well as they did. That is what I was after and the BST rims delivered. It's that simple.

There are pros and cons about everything. Since I can't find any "cons" (except price) to pass along to forum members, it is the joy of a thoroughly effective Busa handling mod that I am tring to communicate.

Most Busa owners who want custom wheels won't buy Carbon Fiber wheels. After all, you can almost have a turbo for the same money (although I don't want one). My combination of 170 at the rear wheel and 498 pounds wet produces occasional (i.e. - unintentional) "darkies" when leaned over and that's about all the excitement I need in the twisties on a Hayabusa. When I hit the Interstate, it's pure sport touring Nirvana.

My tag says it all for me...

That's all folks!  
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|WarBaby
Reason for Edit: "Sp."|1095682241 -->

I just put a set of Dymags on mine and love them.Still don't have many miles yet, but they make the bike feel totally different.

<!--EDIT|clrwtrbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095668307 -->

P8230081a.JPG

I just put a set of Dymags on mine and love them.Still don't have many miles yet, but they make the bike feel totally different.[/QUOTE]

Looking GOOD!  
beerchug.gif

The white stands out good with the carbon body. A little more work and I can post pics. These were a killer deal and I can always have them painted.
now the tank/fairing(grey/primer part at bottom) and fender are all carbon fiber RIGHT???

What about the seat, DO they make that part and the hump in Carbon Fiber? or you keeping that like that and just going to repaint it all???

and if all that the primer area tank and fairing and fender and rims are all CF how much weight did you loose???

<!--EDIT|HayaBusa Knight
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096207984 -->

Back