Optimal solution for USB charging port and battery charger system

Apocalypse

Registered
I would like to install a USB charging port but I would also like to have a connector for charging battery when I don't ride for a week or two...

I have this USB socket
And I have this battery charger CTEK MXS 5.0

Any ideas are appreciated.

I just have the one pigtail connected to the battery and when I need to put the bike on the battery tender I just unplug the USB charger. Could add a second pigtail to the battery so I don't have to unplug the USB charger, but I prefer to have less wires under the seat.

I just got done installing a Healtech Thunderbox (32A Version) to handle all of my power distribution issues for my Horns, Heated Grips, Radar etc. They also make a USB Charger that I think will work stand alone or in unison with the Thunderbox. That being said, there are simple adapters that just plug right onto the SAE plug for a Battery Tender. Long time ago I wired my Tank bag so I connect it to my Battery Tender Plug and then there is a Cigarette lighter plug inside the Bag that you can plug Radar detector, Phone Chargers etc. into.

Here's what I did. One 8 gauge cable off each battery terminal running back to a fuse box

20230507_084144.jpg

20230507_084150.jpg

Battery charger lead attached to fuse box. Black and blue thing is a quad lock usb controller. Usb cable runs to front of bike

20230507_084204.jpg

USB Y splitter powers my phone charger and my radar detector

20230507_084207.jpg

No. Just 8 gauge cables off the battery terminals. No relay needed. Purpose was to get all the extra connections off of the battery and too get rid of all the inline fuse blocks that everything seems to have.
Yours looks pretty similar to what I started with, but I abandoned my plans. I had mine set up with a waterproof relay so that all my accessories were un-powered until startup. Trunk Space was my hang up, that and having to make long runs to all of my cockpit devices. Wound up mounting the Thunderbox up front so I can just jack whatever I need to it (up to 32A anyways) with short runs. And it only powers them when the Engine is actually running, then I have 2 SAE Battery Tender leads wired directly to the battery Terminals, 1 to power my Tankbag, Air Compressor, Electric vest etc. and the other "Smart Cord" just for charging the LI battery. Motorcycle manufacturers should have long ago acknowledged that people want to add accessories to their bikes and included an appropriate fuse block to do so! :banghead:
1683474828319.png

1683475049667.png

Yours looks pretty similar to what I started with, but I abandoned my plans. I had mine set up with a waterproof relay so that all my accessories were un-powered until startup. Trunk Space was my hang up, that and having to make long runs to all of my cockpit devices. Wound up mounting the Thunderbox up front so I can just jack whatever I need to it (up to 32A anyways) with short runs. And it only powers them when the Engine is actually running, then I have 2 SAE Battery Tender leads wired directly to the battery Terminals, 1 to power my Tankbag, Air Compressor, Electric vest etc. and the other "Smart Cord" just for charging the LI battery. Motorcycle manufacturers should have long ago acknowledged that people want to add accessories to their bikes and included an appropriate fuse block to do so! :banghead:
View attachment 1666200

View attachment 1666201
Everything that is attached to the box was originally attached direct to the battery. Nothing draws without the engine running except the usb and it shuts off a couple minutes after engine shut off (senses voltage). Yours is nicer but mine is less expensive.

@Apocalypse , glad you did buy the BEST Charger on this planet , CTEK mxs5.0 charge my Yuasa ytz14s now 12 years .
Put the CTEK Connect plug / cord ,direct with (fuse) on Battery .
HT Thunderbox , don't need any fuse, i love my TB-02 2x16Ah
I use a 3.1Amp USB Socket from MOTOPOWER tm (type nr MP0609) with SAE cord to Thunderbox

Okay so I was at Cyclegear today getting stuff to set up a friends bike and trackside makes a specific harness that plugs into your battery and then has a USB port attatchment that you can remove and plug the leads from a battery tender to the same harness

Never figured something like that would exist.

no idea if most guys want it straight to battery, or prefer a a solution that is switched by ignition. If the latter, i could make up a plug and play harness with a USB charger you like for the tail, or front of the bike etc., just have to pick a spot and I pretty much have connectors to access stuff anywhere on the bike.

switched with the key is better as usb consumes a small amount otherwise.
I run all accessories switched except the gps unit which has an always on lead allowing for reduced power, periodic tracking.

@Apocalypse , glad you did buy the BEST Charger on this planet , CTEK mxs5.0 charge my Yuasa ytz14s now 12 years .
Put the CTEK Connect plug / cord ,direct with (fuse) on Battery .
HT Thunderbox , don't need any fuse, i love my TB-02 2x16Ah
I use a 3.1Amp USB Socket from MOTOPOWER tm (type nr MP0609) with SAE cord to Thunderbox
Thanks for posting your setup. Is your Yuasa YTZ14S 12 years old and still working?
What CTEK connect plug/ cord do you have/ recommend? This one : CTEK connector ?
I think this would be the optimal system but I'm interested also if what @smithabusa could provide.

no idea if most guys want it straight to battery, or prefer a a solution that is switched by ignition. If the latter, i could make up a plug and play harness with a USB charger you like for the tail, or front of the bike etc., just have to pick a spot and I pretty much have connectors to access stuff anywhere on the bike.

I am interested in a solution that is switched by ignition for the front of the bike and the USB must be waterproof, type C, must provide quick charge for Galaxy S23 Ultra (I don't know the technical details but the charging specifications are : 45W wired, PD3.0)

I would like to thank everyone for sharing the ideas/ setups.

Back