Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
Since you guys like carnage pics, I thought I'd share

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

So is it a bad thing when one piston will move up and down but the other stays put
rock.gif

If you have more than one, doesn't that mean you have built in redundancy?

ouch... what kind of motor is that? (besides some big ole 2 stroke)

That would be the aftermath of a wide open 60 Mph run on the ski this past weekend. First time on water this season and I'm guessing that cylinder was running lean
rock.gif

Bogus, It was a 787 Sea-Doo XP, I think it's an anchor now.
guns.gif

Ahhh the joys of owning a PWC..........

Getting my 93 Wave Blaster back at the end of the month.....

Just Parts, Looking at SBT, can't decide between the 1 year or 2 year.

The ski is in need of a new starter as my cheapo ebay starter (that makes 2) just isn't hanging. After many converstions, the concensus is the compression of the 787's truely needs the high torque of the OEM starter, so that alone has set me back $230.00 through a board sponsor.
I'm looking to due the swap myself, so I need to buy/rent the alignment tool, and the carbs are in need of serious rebuilding. I've fought a fouling issue all last season on that same cylinder and believe it went lean (from sitting for the winter)causing the problem you see above.

So, my labor, looking at $1500.00 if I go with the SBT 2 year "NO FAULT", and since I'm doing it myself for the first time ever and have never done a ski before...........I'm thinking 2 years might be good. I can probably save $250 if I decide to go with just the 1 year.

I made a 15-20 minute run down the lake to the damn with no problem, ran good, decent chop on the lake, was just enjoying the ride. Crossed along the damn, turned back up the lake, sat back, grabbed a big ole handful of throttle, she lit up for about 200 yards then poof. It was a long sad tow back to the trailer in 92 degree heat.

My last PWC
Seats 1
1400 hp
175 mph
7 second 1/4 mile
less than 100 miles on hull- no warranty
laugh.gif

babycurtis.JPG

short blocks are about 6,000 add the same 6,000 for heads and another 2G for fuel system.. (that old 8 hole FI system was replaced by an Enderle Bug catcher on a tunnel ram)

there is also a Scott Owens 2 speed (fails to high gear rather than low gear like a Lenco) as R8 would put it... only $$$

so can you just buy turn key motors with a warranty? that would be nice but if you can just slap a sleeve and a piston on that thing, sure seems like it would be a lot cheaper just to fix it.. (never had to work on that type of motor myself)

the jug just unbolts off the case?

Yes, I believe the jug just unbolts like any other 2 stroke. For sure that cyclinder would need sleeved, I already know from general service both cylinders were down about 25 PSI from it's mate, so the other would need honed???, certainly new rings. Something is broke, beit a rod or wristpin or cap cause the other piston will move up and down while that on stays put at the top. I'm not sure I want to tear it apart further to check the crank or anything.

I can pretty much get a turn key "NO FAULT" 1 year warranted engine for $850 then I also need installation gaskets+break-in oil and a 2 year warranty for $1150 gaskets oil included. I like the "NO FAULT" claim, as if I readjust the carbs lean, injest water, throw a rod, crack a case, overheat it on a trailer.........SBT will replace it for free.

These damn ski's are a lot more sensitve than the old 2 stroke dirt bikes and snowmobiles I've had in the past.

And there's nothing worse than getting stranded on the water, generally someone is on my other ski and can pull me in, but it sucks watching everyone else have fun while I wrench. I think I'm going to spend the $$$, hopefully get it done right, and for a change actually enjoy some water time.

Back