Oxidized swingarm.

Frantik1

Registered
This past summer I cleaned my chain with kerosene as I always do, and I always spray the chain and swingarm with Suzuki bike wash, hit them with water, and wash the rest of the bike, dry the chain, yada,yada, yada. But one time I used dollar store spray degreaser on it instead ( it works good...too good). After I went through the whole process, you could see everywhere the cleaner had ran on the swingarm; the kinda chalkie looking oxidized look. Its not terrible, but I CAN SEE IT. Question is, anyone know a polish that will cut the oxidation a little better? I really don't want to strip it down and polish it.

(Over_Easy @ Nov. 28 2006,11:55) A pic would greatly help.
Agreed, but the bikes not here right now. And I'm not sure it would show up all that well in the pics, but I'll give it a try.

I would try some abrasive polish and the elictric polisher.

The only thing is you may have to redo the whole thing

Try using a paint cleaner polish or a product by 3M clear coat scratch remover polish for starters.. Degreaser especially simple green should never be left on metal surfaces after being applied or you will get that inbeeded hard to remove stained crust appearance (car rims).

Take your time buffing out the surface using one of the two products I mention and post back your results.

(Rhythm @ Nov. 28 2006,12:11) Try using a paint cleaner polish or a product by 3M clear coat scratch remover polish for starters..  Degreaser especially simple green should never be left on metal surfaces after being applied or you will get that inbeeded hard to remove stained crust appearance (car rims).

Take your time buffing out the surface using one of the two products I mention and post back your results.
Tried to load a pic, but the file size was too big. I'll give the 3M a try, I think I gave my brother a bottle of that last year. I assume chrome polish would be a no-no?

I have done that before. I think i used mothers billet to remove the stains from the swing arm. You may also try never dull on it. Just be carefull of the clear coating over the swing if you go through it you will have to keep polishing it from now on.

I did the same thing to my swingarm using Simple Green..... Never Dull did not work....nor did Mothers polish.

Cover it up with stickers......

(Rhythm @ Nov. 28 2006,12:11) Try using a paint cleaner polish or a product by 3M clear coat scratch remover polish for starters..  Degreaser especially simple green should never be left on metal surfaces after being applied or you will get that inbeeded hard to remove stained crust appearance (car rims).

But isn't WD-40 a degreaser...and it's used by many people here (including myself) to clean the grime and chain grease from their wheels, swingarm and frame.

(Over_Easy @ Nov. 28 2006,13:27)

But isn't WD-40 a degreaser...and it's used by many people here (including myself) to clean the grime and chain grease from their wheels, swingarm and frame.
Its oil based.....it will not oxidize.

(Devil Dog @ Nov. 28 2006,13:30)

Thanks !

(Rhythm @ Nov. 28 2006,13:32)

Thanks !
Not familiar enough with Simple Green...just saw you term it as a degreaser.

(Over_Easy @ Nov. 28 2006,13:43)
(Rhythm @ Nov. 28 2006,13
zzwhip.gif
)

Thanks !
Not familiar enough with Simple Green...just saw you term it as a degreaser.
No sweat, Chief.

Back