Picking up New Busa Out of State

flyboy

Registered
rock.gif
I'm most likley to purchase my new Busa out of State and will have to pick it up using a trailer. How do I tie it down with out damaging my new Busa? Any help would be grealy appreciated.

<!--EDIT|flyboy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073749258 -->

On the front I use a strap that has padding on it that slips over the handle grips and has loops in the ends made for my tie down hooks. I put the front tire up against the rail at the front of the trailer, hook my straps to the loops, hook the other end to the front corners of the trailer, sit on the bike, tighten them down evenly to compress the forks some. Some people just wrap the strap around the grip and hook it to its self. I do not like that way. Make sure you do not make your throttle turn or put too much pressure the other way forcing the throttle backwards. I use the peg mounts on the back to hook to, put the straps going out and away from the bike at an angle. This gives it a full four point restraint and gives it more equal retention from all sides. I put the tire up against the rail to prevent the tire from trying to slide if I had to stop suddenly. If yours is too high or enclosed you can use a 4x4 as a spacer between the tire and front of the trailer, just toe nail it to the bed so you can take it out later. Have a safe trip and don't forget to take the stuff to change the trailers tire if needed.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|mctrull
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073754185 -->

I pull my bike in an open trailer also...Get a Canyon Carver handlebar strap (extemely effective) and use with ratchet type straps (I purchased my straps from Walmart)...I anchor the front straps attached to the Canyon Carver at about a 45 degree angle forward of the bike of course then ratchet them as tight as possible...I also use straps on the rear of the bike for added stability for long hauls...I strap to the foot pegs slightly forward and as tight as possible...Used this technique and traveled to Florida from TN and back...Didn't have to readjust going or on the way back...Just check for tightness when you refuel and adjust as needed...Some members will also strap the front tire to the trailer for added security on quick accelleration...
evil.gif

Use ratcheting type straps for sure available at WallMart for about 5 bucks each. Be sure and check them during the trip home, and you will be fine.

ask the dealer to tie it down for you.

that-away, you can see how it is done, and it is ON THEM if something happens on the way home.

CACHE SUMMED IT UP I JUST BOUGHT MY BUSA OUT OF STATE IN NOVEMBER AND I DID IT THE SAME WAY AS CACHE SAID TO DO IT AND DROVE BACK 265 MILES ...CANYON CARVERS ARE THE BEST FOR SPORT BIKES... GOOD LUCK
smile.gif

Definetly buy yourself a Canyon Dancer harness to tie the beast down . You will not be let down by this product .

Make sure you put some padding between teh strap and the fairing it there is any contact. You don't want the paint to get rubbed off by the strap.

Don't compress the forks too much. I did this when I bought mine, and had a puddle of fork oil in the bed of my truck when I got home. No fun taking your brand new bike in for service before you even get to ride...

posted in July last year...

I dont strap the back... just the front.
this trailer, PERFECT! Tilts, ride on, ride off, no ramps. custom wheel chalk, custom loops for the straps. $700 done.

funky lookin pic, but it works!

trailer.jpg

Get the strap dude, it's a must!! I trailered mine on a few long hauls (over 1k miles each way) and have never had a prob. Like Big Wall said, be sure to check and see if the tie downs rub on the fairing anywhere and if it does, put something in between them. Also, if you are going down any roads that are a little rough, might want to consider tying the rear wheel as well, just to help prevent the rear wheel from shifting or hopping a little. Doesn't have to be supertight, just snug.

p.s. have a lotta fun with the new toy!!
biggrin.gif

p.s.s BTW Cache,  Dayam nice color sheme you got there!! How's the Six-Million Dollar Project coming along?

<!--EDIT|BusaboyCO
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073856584 -->

I agree with all of the above, think I will summarize however.

1)I agree with all of the above, think I will summarize however on the main points that have already been mentioned but I think are the most important.

1) Remember the Busa is one of the few bikes that the front fender sticks out past the tire, ensure that if you but up the front against anything (which you need to do) the it is not higher than the fender, if it is you will have to have some kind of spacer

2) Do not compress the forks all the way, if you do you will blow out your front fork seals

3) Don’t have you kick stand down, the bike needs to be balanced standing straight up, a dealer told me that some people will put a bike on a trailer leaning on the kick stand and that it will often snap the kick stand (I must admit, I didn’t that a few times myself until the mechanic told me these, at which point it made a lot of sense and I have never done it again.

4) My personal opinion, you can never have enough tie downs, I strongly recommend the canyon dancer also. The way the strap works, the sleeve that fits over the left handball is routed to the right and pulls the left handle bar to the right, and the right handle bars sleeve is routed to the left and is tied down on the left. I have used this numerous times and at least with my busa, the way it is tied down (my trailers has eye hooks on the corners) the straps never touch the bike. I then tie down the rear to an eye hook in each corner and then in the center I have center hooks on each side and I tie down the center also on each side.. All with ratchet tie downs.

I am extremely anal about tying things down. I think the way I tie my bike down the trailer could come lose, do a few flips and the bike would still be on the trailer LOL.. NOT that it still being on the trailer would do any good after that,, but…
smile.gif

Again, everything I just said was already covered, just reiterating, verifying, summarizing etc…

Back