Power Commanders Ect.

Rosco

Registered
Hi All
Finally back on line. Moved to the capital and now get to flight plan the black helos!

What I need is some solid advice about the value of Power Commanders or any other sort of interceptor/ems.

I took my bike for a service the other day and because it was air filter change time I went for a K&N.

The workshop manager suggested that because I had the Yosh cans as well, it would be a good idea to give it a run on the dyno to check the A/F ratio.

I thought this was a good idea as the bike smelt rich anyway.

He did 2 runs for me (at no charge). The first a test, the second after a tweek.

He said I could come in later for a few more runs to tidy up the fueling or wait till my next service if I liked.

This brings me back to my question.

If we use PCII,III to get our fuel/air to the correct ratio (lets face it, thats all they do!), why do we pay good money for these things?

Why would I need one if the Suzuki EMC can be adjusted?

Is there somthing I dont understand? I would really appreciate some advice on this before I shell out $800-$900 AUS for one of the bloody things. Will I get that amount of benefit?

Below is the print of the two runs.

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109321270 -->

Ross_Dyno.jpg

Prolly around US$600

Ive got a strong feeling someone's making a lot of margin.

My service guy said not to bother with the PC unless I wanted to go racing.

But then we have dealers here selling a block of black acryilic with a 6.8Kohm resistor in it and a plug on one end (basic TRE) for $150 and claiming their customers now have more HP and are doing monos and burnouts everywhere. I hope they get cancer and die!

Cheers
Ross

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109327998 -->

That graph is still showing a little rich on the AF. 11.5 is just about right. Power Commanders are a necessity if you are modifying the engine, such as cams, larger throttle bodies and stuff like that. IIIr's allow the timing to be adjusted also, not just fuel. We have a shop near here that does the tuning without a PC and he is very good. If you plan only on slipons/K&N, they save your cash and let your dealer set it for ya.

Rosco, it all depends on what mods you want on your bike... with regard to performance! Well you can have bolt on's and k&n with out a EMS ... but if you put an EMS the same setup should be able to get you about 3-5 HP at the rear Wheel! If you have a full exhaust system.... You definetly need a EMS to make full use of the exhaust system, and to keep your bike running smooth. U usually add uf good HP with a full exhaust system! I think the EMS is needed if you plan to get a Turbo on the bike...

Thats about maximum of what i know about EMS. JohnyCheese is the guy to talk to if you want more details! He is the .org tuning guru
biggrin.gif

JC, not sure how fuel was adjusted, will make inquries.

How many runs would you say it takes to get a consistant picture of whats going on?

Cheers
Ross

If you install a full exhaust system your goin' to need one. Here in the US you can get them for $250-$300 for a PC3R or a USB.
wink.gif

Cheers JC, I'll look further into it and have a good talk to then about what they are doing.

If all else fails Sydney is only a 2 hour drive away and I'll get S&R Pro to do my dyno work. They have a rep for being one of the best in the country.

Prolly around US$600

Ive got a strong feeling someone's making a lot of margin.

My service guy said not to bother with the PC unless I wanted to go racing.

But then we have dealers here selling a block of black acryilic with a 6.8Kohm resistor in it and a plug on one end (basic TRE) for $150 and claiming their customers now have more HP and are doing monos and burnouts everywhere. I hope they get cancer and die!

Cheers
Ross
I agree with the cancer for them, 150.00 what a bunch of money hungry asswipes...

ATRE is how I am going with a Yoshimura EMS( http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ems.asp )  @ (420.00-450.00US ( http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?3=1508 or http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?3=1507 )) basically is a PCIIIr/PCIIIusb combined for @50.00 or so more than a PCIIIr or a PCIIIusb... and it is the same thing just a yosimura sticker on it LOL!!!

<!--EDIT|HayaBusa Knight
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109555927 -->

Back