Power shifting

tegbusa

Registered
First, i'm not all new to power shifting, I used to drag race my kawi and shifting was like a butter. But, i can't get it right on the busa. I have tried it many times while hard acceleration and it tends to go to Neutral! specially when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I just hope that the clutch is not busted! the bike has only 2k miles.

I hardly ever shift without the clutch, but when I do, I NEVER shift from 1'st to 2'nd without the clutch !! I don't downshift without it either. Not saying it can't be done, just saying I don't, because everybody told me not to, when I was learning. I was told to put a little pressure on the shifter just before letting up on the throttle a little bit, and it will slide right into gear. (not telling you how to just incase someone else was reading, and wondering, if you use to race I'm sure you know more than me). I hear ALOT of people talking about how the Busa will jump out of 2'nd gear.

When I got my bike new it use to have a little snag (false nuetral) in between 1'st, and 2'nd, but it went away after about 500 miles, now I have it in between 5'th, and 6'th ??

I hardly ever shift without the clutch, but when I do, I NEVER shift from 1'st to 2'nd without the clutch !! I don't downshift without it either. Not saying it can't be done, just saying I don't, because everybody told me not to, when I was learning. I was told to put a little pressure on the shifter just before letting up on the throttle a little bit, and it will slide right into gear. (not telling you how to just incase someone else was reading, and wondering, if you use to race I'm sure you know more than me). I hear ALOT of people talking about how the Busa will jump out of 2'nd gear.

When I got my bike new it use to have a little snag (false nuetral) in between 1'st, and 2'nd, but it went away after about 500 miles, now I have it in between 5'th, and 6'th ??
+1000 agree

Theres obviously neutral between 1st and 2nd, to make it from 1st to second you HAVE to MASH IT HARD. But you might just want to stay away from it. Or under cut your tranny. And to top it all off Busa's also have a magical neutral between 5ht and 6th just incase you need to find it later down the road.
Put some a$$ in your foot.
lurk.gif

My 2 fingers are lightning fast. I always use the clutch and get smoothe shifts. And you dont need to pull it in all the way either.....

Ok maybe I am missing something here..

clutchless = blipping throttle or killing motor long enough to shift, never touching clutch handle

powershifting = never letting off throttle and shift fast enough as to prevent over-rev

A + B = do not think this is possible on a bike without serious issues

either one by itself? not a big deal IME... however when ever you are "hotrodding", you can break stuff...

I watched an '08 bust up 2 sets of clutches at the track yesterday (literally broke the fiber plates in 2 pieces) when the air shifter had a problem..

Well put Randy, thats the way it is..  
thumb_up.gif

I shift with out the clutch quite frequently.. and I also power shift if racing, both can be done with no harm to the Busa.  
cool.gif

As said 2nd on up will work fine and not do any damage. Going from 1st to 2nd with no clutch will give you clutch problems after a lot of use.

Ok. maybe I'm still a little new, but I have a 07busa with 5k on it and I can get smoother shifts under moderate to heavy acceleration going clutchless all the way up, but not if I'm going slow. Can downshift ok to. Its all in the timing. I have not tried "powershifting" yet. If I ever get a break in the weather I'll give it a try.

+1000 agree
+2000 by a air shifter save the tranny

I use the powercommander ignition kill feature with a push button. It will temporary kill ignition for preset time when the button is pushed. Mine is set for 60ms (a lot quicker than two fingers on the clutch and blimpping). I don't clutchless shift between 1st and 2nd. For the rest of the gears, it feels like an automatic when it shifts. All I need to do is preload the shifter (applying pressure to shift) run the rpms up and push the button, it shifts into the next gear, let me foot down and basically resetting the shifter, and preload again for the next gear. The only trick is to know how much preload to apply, I have not had any problems, so it's easy enough a cave man could do it...

But I don't do this routinely, no need for most riding...

Maybe adjust the shifter a little bit? So many people hop on bike new to them and just ride away with them. When I got my bike Rode it a few miles and then started making adjustments. Suspension, brake levers,Clutch levers,etc...Same concept as tuning an engine. Ride it & adjust it till everything is perfect. I rarely use the clutch. I have experienced the 5-6 neutral also. It was when I first got the bike. Haven't had it happen in long while. Scared me untill I read about it here.

You gonna abuse(be hard) the tranny invest in undercutting. Better to pay few $$ now then lots of $$ later. Air/electric shifter is a plus also. The old saying..."It cost $$ to save $$!"

Theres obviously neutral between 1st and 2nd, to make it from 1st to second you HAVE to MASH IT HARD. But you might just want to stay away from it. Or under cut your tranny. And to top it all off Busa's also have a magical neutral between 5ht and 6th just incase you need to find it later down the road.
Put some a$$ in your foot.
lurk.gif
thumb_up.gif
Busa trannies work like a box of boulders.....just slam the hell outta them all the time with no clutch whatsoever and they'll last a lifetime. At least thats what everybody keeps telling me...use major force, and lots of it
wowold.gif
But then again thats why nobody rides my bikes but me
winkold.gif

Ok maybe I am missing something here..

clutchless = blipping throttle or killing motor long enough to shift, never touching clutch handle  

powershifting = never letting off throttle and shift fast enough as to prevent over-rev

A + B = do not think this is possible on a bike without serious issues

either one by itself?  not a big deal IME...  however when ever you are "hotrodding", you can break stuff...

I watched an '08 bust up 2 sets of clutches at the track yesterday  (literally broke the fiber plates in 2 pieces) when the air shifter had a problem..
Well, i meant the first one. Powershifting can be dangerous on the busa!

I just feel sad that this can be harmful on the busa, I think i might try and invest in one of those air shifters. Thank you everyone for your input.

I clutchless shift all the time after 1-2nd, down and up. It is smooooth, power shift is not as smooth but still smooth. The Busa likes likes to be shifted like you mean it, my Honda will shift alot smoother and can be eased into gear, not the Busa, it like it hard and rough
cool.gif

Back