side stand mod for K8

steveK8

Registered
Just heard a UK based K8 has rolled off it's stand....By looking at mine I thought Suzuki had addressed the problem , but maybe not ??

Mine rolled off Saturday
cursin.gif
$2600.00 in damage. I would say it is still a problem.

I would think that someone isn't doing something correctly when parking the bike.  In over 22,000 miles on a Gen 1 Busa, touring in ten states, I have never had the bike 'roll off' the side stand.  Stop, put the stand down and all the way forward, then drag the bike backwards on the stand about 1/2" and its stable.  At least it works on all my bikes and I have over 100,000 touring/riding miles on them.

I must say that although I haven't done it (dropped it) that stand does look pretty precarious. Looks like it could do with going further forward. Think I'll do a bit of descrete grinding and make it so.

Mine rolled off its stand. I was standing right beside the bike, so I managed to catch it, but yes the kickstand is a problem. it needs a greater angle, or maybe to be shorter. Any downhill slant and the bike will roll off it. Even if you left it in gear, it can still inch forward a bit, which might be just enough to do the trick.

I would think that someone isn't doing something correctly when parking the bike. In over 22,000 miles on a Gen 1 Busa, touring in ten states, I have never had the bike 'roll off' the side stand. Stop, put the stand down and all the way forward, then drag the bike backwards on the stand about 1/2" and its stable.
Agreed.

I have even parked in a downhill direction and never had a roll off.

If you leave the trans parked in reverse,, and set the kick,, let the clutch out and feel pressure against the gear,,, you'll never have this problem!
laugh.gif

Put the bike in 1st gear, let out the clutch, and push forward until it stops. Then put it on the side stand. The only way it will roll off the stand that way is if someone is messing with it.

Sorry, but roll-offs are due to rider error. Just fess up and admit to yourself you left it in neutral, didn't put the stand down properly or both.

I have never had a bike fall off the stand and I leave it in neutral. I put the kick stand down and pull it backwards about an inch. On a rare occasion where I have to point the bike downhill to park, I do leave it in gear, push it forward, to take up the slack then put the stand down. My K8 kickstand did look like it needed more angle, so I did the mod that so many did on the Gen I's.

Put the bike in 1st gear, let out the clutch, and push forward until it stops. Then put it on the side stand. The only way it will roll off the stand that way is if someone is messing with it.
+1 kickstand down all the way,in 1st gear,push bike forward till it stops
Pushing forward takes the drive train play out and it can't roll forward any more and fold the kickstand
Pulling backwards leaves play in the drive train so it can still roll forward a little and fold the kickstand

Back