Strange fuel problem

OB_boneman

Registered
Before I rode to work the other day, I noticed my fuel indicator was just above the red zone. No light yet, so off I went. Got to work and the gauge hadn't moved. Thought this was strange so I figured I would fill up immediatly after work. So, while warming the bike up after work, she copped out on me, sputter sputter, cough cough. Crap. No light, gauge still above the red, what's up with that? Get some gas in it and she fires right up, no hesitation. Top it off later and gauge is working like normal. I'm taking it into the dealer Friday (still under warranty), any thoughts on what the problem with the gauge was/is? I've run it below the red and the fuel light has come on in the past. The pre-flight ibit check where the gauge sweeps and the light comes on works fine.

What's the scoop?

My '99 did something like that-my low fuel light came on going to work, on the way to refill after work (<20 miles) my bike started crapping out and dying. I was on the freeway, I could rock the bike, start and run for a few yards at a time. Eventually it would not run. (at least the cop was nice enough to pass and NOT to stop and smack me)I was willing to push it for about a mile, but a friend stopped to help. I did not try to duplicate this as I am too busy, but I lost some confidence, as I travel cross country on my sport bikes, and I NEED to use every drop of fuel in the tank. I don't live close to a Suzuki dealer. There have been some posts regarding the fuel gauge and lights, I think mine is something else. This happened after the recall

lower level of the screen is most likely clogged .not letting you get the remaining fuel left in the tank that the sending unit sees.

Back