Stupid Mistake

OB_Rocket Man

Registered
I got the recall chanin tensioner done and it failed. I got a manual from APE(nice product). When I installed it, I started the motor and it made some noise so I shut it down and adjusted the tensioner. It was too late, the chain jumped a tooth and would not start.

How hard is to make it right again?

Put your stock tensioner back on and take it to the dealer, "you don't know what happend!!" Let them fix it, this $hit is suzuki's fault in the first place!!

Right now it is at my mechanics place,a trust worthy guy, he took off the cam covers and did a compression test, all looks ok. At this time he is gonna set the timing and try to start it. But he is busy and can't do the work for 3 more weeks.

rocket man well as luck would have it my mechanic and i installed my manual tensioner tonight only problem was i accidently rotated the rear wheel about 1/3 of the way around before the tensioner had touched the guides the mechanic thought it might be okay so we finished and bike would not start after 6 tries so i asked him if it was possible to jump a tooth he said definetly so we took cam cover off and sure enough it jumped 1 tooth or 2 pins by now i'm ready to puke this was my fault but i was sick so we did a leakdown and there was 2% across the board at this point i new there was a god!. just cranking it did not hurt it so be careful not to rotate motor.

You just need to re-degree your cams with a degree wheel. It's not hard but you would need some basic knowledge to do it.

I have only seen a degree wheel in catalogs. Never actually used one. It sounds like it may be a little over my head. Thank you for responding. I think I will play it safe and let someone else do it, sucks waiting 3 weeks though. I am hoping I don't have any head damage. If I do, I'm thinking of sending the head out to APE and let them do it up. Do you know what that may cost?

rocket man bike runs fine if not better 2% leakdown said it all at least i know broke it in right

it only took my mechanic about 2 hours to re install the intake cam and all the other little things i finished airbox and cables and plastic myself

leakdown is when you put each piston at top dead center and both valves are closed you then have a leakdown tester which consists of a gauge and a air line connection you screw the line into the spark plug hole connect air to it and the gauge will tell you how much air is escaping i'm not sure of the service limit i think 10 or 12% 0 %is impossible for a stock motorcycle and up to 5%is good i had 2% across the board for each cylinder so i was real happy

also we did this on a cold engine so it could even be 1% this is a better test than compression it is more accurate and tells immediatly if there is damage it only took a few minutes to do it

i dont think i explained it well but if there is damage anywhere for instance bent valves you will hear the air leaking through the exhaust or intake or both as the air line is feeding air into the cylinder

Busa 2, thanks for the input. I did try to start it after I made the fatel mistake. I have my fingers crossed that nothing bad happend. Does your bike run fine now?

Back