Tensioner problems don\'t exist

OB_cartman

Registered
I just spoke to the head service guy at the local Suzuki dealer where I purchased my '00 Busa, and I asked him about possible recalls for the cam chain tensioners on the '00s. I told him that several people on the web board that I read had reported problems with 3-dot tensioners failing, some of them mutiple times.

He told me, with the attitude of someone trying to explain something to a small, dense child, that there are a lot of wackos on the 'net, and that these reports were as likely to be "agents of Honda" trying to seed the Busa community with FUD as they were to be honest accounts of actual experiences. Heck, they haven't had *one single Suzuki of any kind* come in with even a worn out tensioner, much less a failed one with a blown engine. Besides, he added, you're under warranty. Don't worry, be happy!

I decided not to make an enemy at that point by arguing with him, in particular pointing out the fact that one of his own service people, just the day before, had told me that they had had 3 bikes come in with bad tensioners, one with a completely failed tensioner/fked up engine.

I will, however, become the biggest arsehole in the area towards this service department if my tensioner fails, or if Lofty Abuse's reports of a "4 dot" tensioner and associated recall become reality. He'll be getting each one of his words rammed back up his arse one at a time, over and over and over. And if it's the former, I'll be getting a brand spanking new engine from Suzuki America, not some halfarsed punk service kid rebuild of my old engine.

For people whose "recall" tensioners have failed, how have the service departments at the dealers reacted to your questions about why the failure occurred? Do they deny a design problem with the "recall" tensioners, or have they indicated that another redesign if the current tensioner is in the works?

I'm still waiting on the tensioner as we speak. Should be in today or tommorow.
The Head Mechanic from Broward Powersports
(Lee) said he spoke to the Suzuki America rep I dealt with, Damen Riddle.
Damen told him that Suzuki is reluctant to discuss a recall at this time but that the tensioner is a completely new part. Lee confirmed that he has not seen this part number on a tensioner yet and that it was just released from backorder from Suzuki America in California and it is on its way to me now, actually they sent 25 of them, anticipating the hush hush recall.

We'll see, this could be proverbial smoke up my *** . When I get it I will pull it out, post detailed pics, and let some of the more mechanically savy gents on this board advise if its different.

Until then, I still dont have my ride :(

To my Knowlage there is no updated tensioner I just received my new 3 (three) dot one and there is at this date no Recall.
How do we handle a question like you posed....
Nothing is impossible had one go bad but fixed it asap.
If you have a warranty great if it is extended better have a sound come see me.
If not ride!

LETS TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE FOR CHRIST SAKES...WE'VE BEEN AROUND & AROUND & AROUND ABOUT THIS THIS TENSIONER THING, THER'S NOTHING LEFT TO SAY, DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO YOUR BIKE...YOUR BEATING A DEAD HORSE NOW, LETS FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DISCUSS.

Dude I agree I'm totally freaked out about this tensioner thing and asked about possible recalls and they have said nothing on the 00 busa's hope so lets pray lol

Hayawoody is right. We have beaten this to death. BUT Lofty Abuse, if you are getting a 'special for you' unit, please let us all know.

In the meantime, I have seen the light! Gixxer1000 and extended warranty!!! Next year! Really! (Until my wife finds out and throttles me.)

Again like JC, my replacement at the beginning of July was three pinks, which was a replacement of three pinks.

I don't think that this is a dead horse, it is a continuing problem and we need to stay current.

CanuckBusa:

I agree about the GSXR1000.

I'm takin the johnnycheese approach, I'm not about to manually adjust every thousand or so. And I have a ways to go on warranty.
If it looks like I'm gonna keep the bike next year I'll buy another 12mo of protection. I have 6 thousand miles of some truly inspired riding and the motors quieter than when new. I run mobil 1 mx4t. Doing the motor this fall so I'll let the builder decide.

Team Moos
If everone put a manual tensioner in there would be no problems reported to Suzuki so nothing can be done I have been telling that for a while.
As for me I don't care my stock Busa has a Suzuki tensioner in it and when my big motor is done it will have a manual one.Too much money in the big motor

This is not a dead horse. Mine is a 2000 and is already stating to make noise at 3100 miles. It is a 3 pink dot unit (standard on 2000 models).

It is another piece of junk. Manual unit is going in when I return from the honeymoon (today is the wedding).

If you're not experiencing problems, good for you, you're lucky.

I have no idea if this tensioner issue is fabricated by the tensioner manufacturer's association, the Columbian cocaine cartel or some politico-biker in Washington, DC.

For $50-ish a manual tensioner seems like cheap insurance. I've already dropped more than two grand into my bike since I got it a few months back, what's another $50? No big deal.

If you don't believe the tensioner issue is credible, don't do anything. If you do, get a manual tensioner. Either way, case closed.

This is an important issue. Please look at the "yosh uses stock tensioners" post. I have a recall website dedicated to this problem. I have a '99 600 and have had problems dealing with Suzuki about the whole thing---it is something that I do not want to ever have to go through again. Please check the site out. Comments, emails, etc. are appreciated.

http://www.rider-info.com

Jon

Guys, what makes you think that the new Gixxer 1000 won't have cam chain problems? The 750 has had them for years, although not as bad as the Busa, if you can believe the reports.

This is my last post on the issue.

At 17000 miles, I noticed my engine making more noise from the cam chain area. It quieted down instantly when my mechanic installed the new APE. I've run manuals for years, and the poster who whined about 1000 mile adjustments simply doesn't know what he is talking about. Mine will be adjusted at 3000 or 4000 mile intervals when I change oil, the same as my other bikes.

The auto tensioner looked OK when we removed it, but who knows?

I'm not saying for any or all of you to run out and change to a manual. I don't care what you do. All I'm saying is, don't be frightened off by bs about 1000 mile adjustments under normal use.

Did you notice that JC's built engine will have a manual tensioner? And the reason? 'Nuff said.

[This message has been edited by SlowHand (edited 05 August 2000).]

Thradar,

Two words: F u c k off! :)

Look at he time of the post, wedding was not until 7pm.

I am a morning person, what can I say. ;)

Slowhand,

I completely agree, even if t was 1000-1500 miles (more than likely), it's easier than changing your oil!! Do it and have piece of mind.

[This message has been edited by Fast_Eddie (edited 06 August 2000).]

Back