The Blue Link

OB_Dingo

Registered
Hello all, I'm new on the Hayabusa . . . test rode it last Wednesday, and bought it the next day. Have been all smiles since while trying to get it broken in. :)

Now, I have what is probably a weenie question, but it's been a head scratcher for me. Why does the chain have a blue link in it? I thought the chain didn't have a master link or anything similar.

Now my curiosity is peaked, and I can't seem to figure out its use. Anyone happen to know the answer?

Selva

The blue link is the master link that has been pressed on like a rivet from the factory
when you get a new chain for the bike you can have it installed the same way.

I think you'll find that there is only one blue link in each chain. I would suggest that it's there as a reference point to assist when cleaning and lubing the chain. If you start at the blue link you know when it comes round again that you have done it all.
Big Pete

Of the explanations, I like BigPete's (thanks!) best. On the last bike I had, it was a guessing game when it came to lubing that chain. After rolling the bike forward multiple times, with stopping to lube a small section of the chain, I would get lost easily on where I was from the beginning.

Having my wife sit on the bike and move it forward worked great, but, that's not going to work on the busa, she can't touch her feet down on both sides. An obvious indicator built into the chain will be a real timesaver.

Back