THE UNBEARABLE, breaking in...

OB_FromKattoBus

Registered
How in the world do you keep this beast below the required RPM's. I heard that no one has managed to keep it under 5000RPM while breaking it in. I would like to hear the stories of those who have took their new Bus for a ride on the open street, where you could see for miles, and what happened after that point. Or how about some unfortunate fellow who was riding and an R1 zipped past him, or a Harley, who of course thought that they were doing so because of the lack of speed the Busa had...I just dont know if I will be able to bring myself to break it in...I hate temptation!

I feel your pain brother breaking in the busa is a task which will call on every once of disipline in your whole body i wish they could come with breakin miles alredy tacked on but weres the fun in that :-)
Headhunta

Tell me about it! Just try to keep thinking of all those really expensive internals needing to wear in and how giving in to temptation now will ending up costing you eventually. Anyway, I took the breakin period as a chance to get familiar with the quirks of the bike. Fun can still be had until 5000RPM if done in the right way. Just keep an eye on that tach because the needle jumps fast!

Don't know about you guys, but my manual says 1st 500 miles should under 5500rpm not 5000rpm. Then 8500rpm until 1000 miles.

It does hurt when you have VW Jettas passing by. Or M3s slowing down to get a better look, then blowing pass you. But keep in mind that these busas have chips that record, among other things, RPMs. And according to Mr. Dealer exceeding the recomended RPMs durring the breaking periord will void your warrentee.

thats good to know. I guess Mr. Dealer might be wrong. I'll still baby it until her probation period is over. thnx 99TLR.

My feelings about the "pleasure and pain" of starting out on the Hayabusa, the pleasure of the handling and the pain of having to resist using the throttle hard, are detailed in my first long term test report, published in the UK's Motor Cycle News. The issue is out on July 7, 1999. You can see it earlier at:

http://members.tripod.com/Suzuki_Hayabusa

Link from there to More About Hayabusas and then to More about my long term testing of the Hayabusa, and you'll get the full report.

There's a link back to this site

Hey Copper, don't get too paranoid on us buddy! :-)

The Suzuki ECM units don't record anything to do with mileage/revs/etc.

The only thing stored in the non-volatile (stays there when ignition is off) memory of the ECM chips is the fuel mapping modifiers from the Yoshi adjuster box.

Even the error codes from the fuel injection are lost as soon as you power-down (bike ignition off) the ECM.

Anyway, most dealers barely have Yoshi boxes, never mind the technology they would need to own to do what you are suggesting. Relax, the only way they know how fast you ran it in is what you tell them, unless you break the thing of course!

Reason is the key to break-in. You must stay away from long term, high heat situations. Hard runs up thru the gears will not harm the motor---Just change the oil and filter often. There was a very large Suku. dealer in my home town that used a policy of "running the poop" out of the bike before delivery. They said that if it ran ok and did not leak oil that that bike was going to be ok. Still just my view---you have to do what you feel right and make you happy.

In Kevin Cameron's "Sportbike Performance Handbook" on page 152 there is a brief but to the point mention of break-in. About 20 hard pulls at full throttle for 10-15 seconds per pull seems to about do it for reducing blowby according to Tom Kipp Sr. of Wiseco. Of course on the street that will have the Hayabusa going a bit fast!

The best way to do this is the way i did it just before you buy the bike take some vacation time and the day after you buy the bike go on a long trip on back roads this lets you scuff the tires and get a good feel for the bike with out the need to over crank it.

I think a lot of it has to do with the state of the engine before it is ridden. The reason I say this is I have had friends who do the below 5000rpm for the 600 miles, below 8000rpm till 1K, and wait till 1500 miles or so before letting it breathe. And I've had friends who do the 200 mile break-in, change the oil / filter, and let her rip. In both instances, I've seen good and bad. If your engine has an Achilles' heel, no amount of break-in is going to change that. I agree with Earl. Change the oil / filter often (I did mine at 300-600-900 miles... 600 miles with all that crap floating around in the oil...nope not me). I went to synthetic at 1100 miles. The bike runs great. I change the oil / filter every 1100 miles or so now. I have done this on my last 3 bikes without any problems to speak of that were break-in or oil related. I guess I got lucky and haven't gotten a lemon yet (knock on wood).
Velociraptor and I agree on the putting load on the bike to seat the rings. But do your break-in how you want. Just don't beat on it with that light weight oil that comes in the bike from the factory.
Later,
Nailz

Back