Think I found the problem

LCW

Registered
After the Christmas festivities died down today, I came home to button up the busa for it's appointment at the dealer (click in case you didn't read my earlier post). In the process, I decided to check the Fuel fuse. It tested fine, so I plugged it back in and just for the hell of it, I turned the ignition on and viola! That beautiful fuel pump noise and a working starter! As I fiddled with the wires going into the fuse block, the fuel pump noise would come and go, and I felt a loose wire snap back into the fuse block. So, I buttoned everything up (except the fairing cover over the fuse block) and took it for a little spin. No problems at all. So tomorrow after work I plan on taking the fuse block off and checking for any weirdness. And if all goes well, taking a "spirited" ride

egitarre77.gif

Congrats on the self repair and thanks for sharing cause this kinda thing could drive me nuts. If i ever have that prob I will know what to do. Thanx bud - K

I'm glad you found the problem and best of all the Girlfriend can stay.
laugh.gif

So tomorrow after work I plan on taking the fuse block off and checking for any weirdness. And if all goes well, taking a "spirited" ride
UPDATE:

When I took the fuse block off, I was able to reproduce the problem by simply moving the fuse block and/or playing with the wires going into it. I didn't spend enough time isolating exactly which wire, because at that point I felt it was a warranty issue (bike only has 1150 miles).

I dropped it off at the dealer and explained what I'd found. They didn't listen the first time, but after calling me to tell me they couldn't find anything wrong (it's an intermittent problem, and it just so happened to be running fine when I dropped it off), I told them how to reproduce the problem, again. They called back a little while later and said they found that one of the wires that goes into the fuse block wouldn't stay snapped in. Furthermore, since the fuse block isn't replaceable (?), they'd have to order and install a whole new wire harness. So, that's what they're gonna do...

rock.gif

<!--EDIT|LCW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1072750214 -->

Going to file that LCW fix into long term memory
biggrin.gif

idea.gif
An opportunity to mention dielectric grease is great stuff. Spreading it on electrical connections to prevent corrosion.
Use it on any electrical connection. Light bulbs, electrical connector jacks, fuse pins. One of it's original purposes was to spread inside a spark plug boot. Purpose so next time removing the boot wouldn't stick to the plug. Also a small amount on the sparkplug & sparkplug cable connection protection against high voltage corrosion(Ozone).
Heard uses for dirt bikes the electricals packed with the stuff to keep connections water tight.

So tomorrow after work I plan on taking the fuse block off and checking for any weirdness.  And if all goes well, taking a "spirited" ride
UPDATE:

When I took the fuse block off, I was able to reproduce the problem by simply moving the fuse block and/or playing with the wires going into it.  I didn't spend enough time isolating exactly which wire, because at that point I felt it was a warranty issue (bike only has 1150 miles).

I dropped it off at the dealer and explained what I'd found.  They didn't listen the first time, but after calling me to tell me they couldn't find anything wrong (it's an intermittent problem, and it just so happened to be running fine when I dropped it off), I told them how to reproduce the problem, again.  They called back a little while later and said they found that one of the wires that goes into the fuse block wouldn't stay snapped in.  Furthermore, since the fuse block isn't replaceable (?), they'd have to order and install a whole new wire harness.  So, that's what they're gonna do...

rock.gif
Thanks LCW...that's where I'll start if it happens again...glad you found where the problem was...you do have to become your own mechanic...

All under warranty, right?

Okay.....I am the dork of the board so I have to ask...where is this fuse block located?

And Bronto....dielectric grease is great stuff.....if you can find it!!! Shopped all over Chicago to find it. Menards, home depot....can't find it. Have some corroded light bulb sockets and the bulbs don't easily turn. Would love some for the busa.

Where did you find it at?

Yes in Auto Parts store. Only seen it in small 1-2 oz tubes. It'll be with the ignition parts, not the grease section.

Furthermore, since the fuse block isn't replaceable (?), they'd have to order and install a whole new wire harness.
So, that's what they're gonna do...

rock.gif
UPDATE:

The harness came in last week, so I dropped the busa off Monday, picked it back up Tuesday with a new harness in place, all covered by warranty. I must say I'm pleased with the service dept. of Champion Suzuki in Mesa, Az.

Now we're off to the Dyno, then the mods begin
devil.gif

<!--EDIT|LCW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074100199 -->

Congrats
beerchug.gif

Glad you finally got it fixed. Now you can enjoy the busa without worrying about it acting up. That stuff get frustrating when you can't pinpoint it.

Great news LCW...so glad you got it fixed! And under warranty is a plus...ride on...

LCW I was glad to hear good things about the service dept. at Champion Suzuki in Mesa cause were going to be moving to Phoenix area within the next few months. Glad ya got the beast fixed.

Back