Torque Wrench

Ham

Registered
hi guys and girls. was in the market for a torque wrench and was thinking about a craftsman beam type torque wrench, Just because i think they are more accurate and reliable.
Share your thoughts.

hi guys and girls. was in the market for a torque wrench and was thinking about a craftsman beam type torque wrench, Just because i think they are more accurate and reliable.
Share your thoughts.
&harbor frieght got one for 18.75

I like the click-type better..more precise and you get the 'break' when it's the correct torque...

Impulse or "Click type" are actually more accurate than beam type and are easier to use because you don't need eyes on the indicator. I use Craftsman myself (purchased on sale only) but any reputable brand will do. I'm very selective about what I buy at Harbor Freight and would not buy torque wrenches from them.

You just have to remember a torque wrench is a precision tool, just like a micrometer or calibers. You get what you pay for. If it doesn't matter that your off by a few inch pounds then you can go cheaper. If you think that you will ever work on something that precision is crucial go ahead and p ay now so you will not have to pay more later.

Are you referring to a Beam or a Click type. Snap on is not cheap.

Either, but I also prefer the click type.
No, Snap-on is not cheap, but some things are worth paying for.
I have some Harbor Freight tools, and they have alot of decent stuff.
But as others have also said, personally I wouldn't buy a cheap torque wrench.
Most of my tools are Craftsman, but I have alot of Snap-on, as well as Mac and Matco.
The whole point of torquing something is so you know that it is tight enough, without being too tight.
If you are off a ft lb or too, on some fasteners that really doesn't matter...but don't try that on a head bolt.
When I torque lug nuts, I trust my Craftsman torque wrench, and I can feel that they are tight enough.
When I rebuild an engine, I borrow my friend's Snap-on inch lb or ft lb torque wrenches.
What you can buy off the Snap-on truck for $400, you can buy on ebay for half, or less.
You can take any Snap-on torque wrench to any driver and have it calibrated too.
If they can't do it on their truck, they can send it off.
A torque wrench isn't something to skimp on:beerchug:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ham
Either, but I also prefer the click type.
No, Snap-on is not cheap, but some things are worth paying for.
I have some Harbor Freight tools, and they have alot of decent stuff.
But as others have also said, personally I wouldn't buy a cheap torque wrench.
Most of my tools are Craftsman, but I have alot of Snap-on, as well as Mac and Matco.
The whole point of torquing something is so you know that it is tight enough, without being too tight.
If you are off a ft lb or too, on some fasteners that really doesn't matter...but don't try that on a head bolt.
When I torque lug nuts, I trust my Craftsman torque wrench, and I can feelthey are tight.
When I rebuild an engine, I borrow my friend's Snap-on inch lb or ft lb torque wrenches.
What you can buy off the Snap-on truck for $400, you can buy on ebay for half, or less.
You can take any Snap-on torque wrench to any driver and have it calibrated too.
If they can't do it on their truck, they can send it off.
A torque wrench isn't something to skimp on:beerchug:
I have always borrowed my uncles(snap on truck comes to his house)snap on stuff, but i think its time for my own. Hes getting older and his arthritis is get bad, getting harder to hold the tools.

Last edited:
You just have to remember a torque wrench is a precision tool, just like a micrometer or calibers. You get what you pay for. If it doesn't matter that your off by a few inch pounds then you can go cheaper. If you think that you will ever work on something that precision is crucial go ahead and p ay now so you will not have to pay more later.

I agree, it's not a tool you want to go cheap. there is a reason things are tightened to a certain torque. I use a click-type and love it. So much better then the beam and I grew up using a beam. Built in ratchet head is a nice thing to have. Time saver among not worrying about having limited space and a 6 point socket to deal with when taking the socket off the bolt and putting it back on to continue to tighten.

buy anything but cheap.

Reactions: Ham
Good to see people using torque wrenches, the amount of people saying they dont need to torque bolts down they just know whats right is a load of boll***s,how would you be able to torque to 7-5 Newton metres accurate or 2oo pounds feet,

Good to see people using torque wrenches, the amount of people saying they dont need to torque bolts down they just know whats right is a load of boll***s,how would you be able to torque to 7-5 Newton metres accurate or 2oo pounds feet,
I agree but not everyone is will or can shell out big bucks for snapon, or Matco

Back