TREs, TREs, does anyone know?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I have read dozens of posts about TREs. I keep reading that a TRE doesn't just produce a more aggressive ignition timing curve, but that it enrichens the fuel mix. How is that possible?
What the heck does ignition timing have to do with fuel injection?

If it does make it too rich then that's a whole can of worms. Fouled plugs, loss of horsepower, etc. Somebody explain the connection, please. If your feeling really chatty, explain how a Power Commander would rememdy this.

I can't believe that with all the posts you have read and replied to, that you haven't figured this out yet.......

5th gear on the busa is a richer fuel mixture to compensate for ram-air.. more air = needs more fuel.

when you use that richer mixture in the lower gears, you are running too rich because there is no ram-air.

I can't believe that with all the posts you have read and replied to, that you haven't figured this out yet.......

5th gear on the busa is a richer fuel mixture to compensate for ram-air.. more air = needs more fuel.

when you use that richer mixture in the lower gears, you are running too rich because there is no ram-air.
Ahah. You are saying that telling the bus that it is 5th gear doesn't just retard the timing it tells it to rich up the mix (because of the ram air effect). Well, if your sure that's true, then that sucks, because it also eliminates an easy way to derestrict the speed limit. You would have to put it in to run top end and take it out for the street.

Since fitting a TRE to my 2003 busa it seems to run a heck of a lot smoother than it did before. Used to run really lumpy but now starts great does more MPG with Scorpion race cans on than it did. Havent tried the top speed and dont think I ever will unless I fancy a spell in the nick.

Ahah. You are saying that telling the bus that it is 5th gear doesn't just retard the timing it tells it to rich up the mix (because of the ram air effect). Well, if your sure that's true, then that sucks, because it also eliminates an easy way to derestrict the speed limit. You would have to put it in to run top end and take it out for the street.
again there is no timing retard happening on the bike it is set just where the factory needs it. by making the bike think it is in 5th you run a little bit more advance but only under 4K.
for 120.00 you speed limiter gone and NO NEED for a bandaid and yes they are in stock

I thought about it on the way home and I don't buy the richer because of ram air effect. You could be doing 50 or even 40 in traffic 50% of the time and be in 5th. Where is the ram air effect then--you would be way to rich. I would be willing to bet that the air pressure increases geometrically with speed and that simply increasing the gas by X% because it's in 5th gear is way too simple.

The bus must have some more sophisticated way of measuring air flow and fuel. You did make me realize one thing though. Carburetors will pull more gas with increased air flow, but not fuel injection.

bomb.gif

ah... get over it.. You will never understand. Use it or don't use it.. Obviously your not bright enough to understand how timming/fuel and air works.

FAV:I thought about it on the way home and I don't buy the richer because of ram air effect. [/QUOTE]

it doesnt matter what you think you can believe here... it is a computer controlled fuel injection system, and it is designed that way for a reason.

correct me if im wrong here Johnny, but the 5th gear map is 5% richer than the first 2.. right?

yep but no use trying to explain it any futher the boy is just too dense, I am sure he will tell the tuner to map it to 14.7:1 becuase that is perfect a/f

Since fitting a TRE to my 2003 busa it seems to run a heck of a lot smoother than it did before. Used to run really lumpy but now starts great does more MPG with Scorpion race cans on than it did. Havent tried the top speed and dont think I ever will unless I fancy a spell in the nick.
How much did the Scorpion cans cost you. Do you think they effected the fuel mix? In other words did you have to make it richer to compensate for the increased air flow? What do they sound like, the stock cans are awful quiet, although that helps it not be a cop magnet.

I asked the DPS (they control the highways around here-Texas), if there was a special ticket for speeds in excess of 100 mph. They said no, that it would be up to the Justice of the Peace. That could probably be a night in jail and maybe $1000 fine. There are a few states that take your bike for keeps and sell it.

FAV:I thought about it on the way home and I don't buy the richer because of ram air effect.

it doesnt matter what you think you can believe here... it is a computer controlled fuel injection system, and it is designed that way for a reason.

correct me if im wrong here Johnny, but the 5th gear map is 5% richer than the first 2.. right?[/QUOTE]
OK, 5% richer. I'm just trying to understand the mechanics behind why re-mapping would be richer.

And Cheseyman, bike mechanics ain't rocket science. Try computer programming for a living.

"And Cheseyman, bike mechanics ain't rocket science. Try computer programming for a living."

Are you unemployed?

LOL
biggrin.gif

FAV:I thought about it on the way home and I don't buy the richer because of ram air effect.

correct me if im wrong here Johnny, but the 5th gear map is 5% richer than the first 2.. right?
OK, 5% richer. I'm just trying to understand the mechanics behind why re-mapping would be richer.

And Cheseyman, bike mechanics ain't rocket science. Try computer programming for a living.[/QUOTE]
You're the one creating all these viruses!

That's a good question, hope somebody answers it; it might solve my problem. I have Brock's street megaphone w/PAIR blockoff, PCIIIr, and airbox mod, and I have always suspected that the bike ran rich with this equipment.... it chortles and backfires, especially with 94 octane, less so with 87 octane. It's even been known to shoot a foot long flame out the megaphone.........great for barbecues!

I've always had Ivan's smart TRE on the busa but never noticed a problem with the stock intake and exhaust. I was running 87 octane but tried 94 the last two tanks to see if I noticed a performance improvement. Whether or not is does is a different subject, but the higher octane seems to accentuate the rich fuel mixture impact. I'm going to temporarily remove the TRE and see if it reduces the chortling and backfiring. If I forget to respond, remind me here.....I'm tracking this topic.

That's a good question, hope somebody answers it; it might solve my problem. I have Brock's street megaphone w/PAIR blockoff, PCIIIr, and airbox mod, and I have always suspected that the bike ran rich with this equipment.... it chortles and backfires, especially with 94 octane, less so with 87 octane. It's even been known to shoot a foot long flame out the megaphone.........great for barbecues!

I've always had Ivan's smart TRE on the busa but never noticed a problem with the stock intake and exhaust. I was running 87 octane but tried 94 the last two tanks to see if I noticed a performance improvement. Whether or not is does is a different subject, but the higher octane seems to accentuate the rich fuel mixture impact. I'm going to temporarily remove the TRE and see if it reduces the chortling and backfiring. If I forget to respond, remind me here.....I'm tracking this topic.
I'm not trying to be rude, and I understand that its not allways available, but all the mods and aftermarket computers you can find to put on a bike will never be perfect (or near to it) if the bike is not properly set up under load on a dyno by a good tuner.

Some people get lucky with a good map but until you get the thing spun up with a good gas probe up its bum your always guessing.

Just an opnion.

Cheers
Ross

Yeah, I hear ya! Problem has always been finding a good tuner. My dealer has given me a name that he trusts, but I haven't found the time to do anything about it yet.

Back