Turbo Rick\'s 201.7 mph World\'s Record-

OB_ducmanic

Registered
Shane
The WWHP was under 200hp
The bike was not lowered beyond stock adjustments-
Call WebCam and see what they say-
Rick got the bike because of his records on his 350WWHP turbo GSXR-
I believe the bike was a early 99 model "press bike", well used, not a special one-

ducmanic

This will probably be met with flames but here's a comment on this topic.

Todd and others on this site as well as other places on the net have touted the GSX13R as a 200mph stock bike. This fella Rick has gone 201.+? Perhaps the British magazine did in fact have a 200mph stock Busa but it would seem noone else does. Rick's bike was modiified and just barely breaks 200. Either the mods made are not good ones, which I'm sure is not the case or a stocker is short of 200. As it was mentioned on "the list", the Guiness (sp?) people tested a stock bike and wrote it in their book at 194 (or there about). Lee's heavily modified bike went 200.2 at Maxon. I just don't see why you propagate this fable. Perhaps the stock one in England was a preproduction model similar to Rickey Gadson's ZX12. With a built by the engineers not by the factory workers engine.

Also the statement has been made that a NO2 Busa went 217. Was this with carbs or FI? Of all the reading I've done on other sites the FI system didn't like the NO2 and to make it work a swap to carbs was needed. Have the NO2/FI system bugs been solved?

Jamie

Those are good points, here are two things that may have had some affect.

What is the altitude at the Bonneville Salt Flats?(4320)

What were the weather conditions that day?

Those two factors play a heavy roll in horsepower production. To compare another bike to those runs, you would need to run that location under similar conditions. No flame here, just my thoughts.

[This message has been edited by maui (edited 23 October 1999).]

Jamie

If you come here too look for challenging discussion about the Hayabusa compared to other bikes, that's fine with me. You should be able to openly compare against the busa. That makes for good debate.

If you come here to attack, or belittle, then you deserve to get flamed.

If you get railed by other members, for challenging facts, you have my sympathy there. Any statement here should be able to be scrutinized. But, look at how you word your questions. There's root of the problem right there. If you start your first paragraph challenging Todd, you're going to draw fire. Or did you think that wouldn't happen? I suspect you are a smart guy. Don't go looking for a fight unless that's what you want. If you are looking for a fight, leave. DO ask question. Post contriversial topics. I like em.

Todd, please drop this before it starts.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 23 October 1999).]

As far as "only" going 201+ goes, EVERY mph you can gain up there is a big deal, IMHO. It obviously isn't like going from 120 to 121 mph. I mean, 201+ is kind of the Indy car realm of speed. I've gone 140 on a bike and I was breathing pretty hard. At 201 I'd be scared shitless...until I got used to it anyway!

The 217 mph British Land Speed Record Busa was stock but for NOS, flatsidecarbs, a new (retarded) ignition system, Yosh full race titanium pipe and the airboox mod. It produced 251 RWHP* & 153 ft/lb of torque at full juice.

Comparing this with Turbo Rick's run on the assumption that Rick was getting around 200 RWHP, it's interesting to note that it took an additional 51 RWHP to go from 201 to 217 mph.

Congratulations, Rick on your strong achievement.

*There's some confusion created by a graph in the Superbike article as to whether this is crank or RW HP, but I think it's safe to assume that's it's RWHP.

I don't know Todd. Don't write Jamie off yet. He may surprise you. If you can treat him with respect, he will come around sooner than you think (my opinion). Remember the blow out between Dirty Pete and Frank Adams, (sorry to make this comparison, but you two did a great job of settling your differences) and look now. Those guys are posting good topics and giving each other a little room as well. I think if you sat down with Jamie, face to face, you guys would end up as friends.

Mr. Bear, every mile per hour you pick up is very earned. Your description above, VERY accurate!

I was under the impression that the 200.2mph was run on a stock Busa, yes?

BigDog

Yes Big Dog but it was informal, one way only, and aided by a quartering wind.

I think just about everybody accepts 194 as the Busas' top speed in stock trim.

the reason i made the comment about nitrous to rick is because from my understanding he came up with a salution to the efi/nos problem. a few months ago, he was telling me that he found a way to spray nos on the big bad busa. his only problem at that time was that he needed to find some body to get it in production. now i hear that "nitrous express" is going to have it available in december. i'm sure that t-rick had something to do with it.
if thats the case, and thats part of his product, then HALE...to turbo rick! thats a big step, and the opening of a major door for for all fuel injected bikes!
all we need now is the same kind of talent to work on the fuel delivery system. like boosting fuel pressure.

but most important! the engineers at suzuki need to come up with a completly differant ignition system on the busa. the one thats in there now, throws alot of red flags on things that need to be adjusted like being able to control timing. also it needs one that will let you move your cam timing around. these are all things your not going to be able to do until someone makes a completly differant ignition system.

the only bandade you can do for it in the mean time is put a dyna ignition and carbs on it. those are my plans until the other deal can get figured out. when will that be?
.....who knows? but as long as we have people like t-rick in the industry, it may happen sooner than.....never

also, i forgot to metion that there is currently no way to control the rev limiter, noway to make it not come on when you don't want it to. like on my bike, it wants to build power way past the point where the stock limiter shuts the bike down. when we did my dyno, it showed that it was increasing in hp when the rev limiter shut it down. that makes it imposible to know exactly how much hp it's capable of.
i could keep going but i'll stop because i'd like to hear some good input on what i've had to say already.......frank

[This message has been edited by frank adams (edited 23 October 1999).]

Pete,
Thanks for the clarification. I was told that the 217 run was made with NO2 on a stock bike.
Maui,
As I've said before in other posts, I don't come here looking for trouble. But I find it. Sometimes my tone is misinterpreted but if I'm flaming it won't be hard to spot.
Frank,
The EFI problem, it has to do with the airbox temp sensor right? It's picking up the cold mist from the NO2 system and giving the computer false readings? On the Corvette they move the sensors away from the engine (not because of NO2). DFI and other aftermarket computers can be used with NO2 as well as control the NO2 progressively. You probably already knew that though. What if the sensor was unhooked as part of the arming of the NO2 system though the use of a relay or something? If the computer doesn't like that idea maybe a resistor with the correct value could be wired in to trick the computer. Dodge makes a car called a Spirit R/T. It's computer is smart enough to "know" that its being messed with. Tuners wired a resistor into the mix to fool the computer into letting them tune the engine for more power.
just some thoughts,
Jamie

[This message has been edited by Jamie (edited 23 October 1999).]

Dateline Bonneville:
LA based Turbo Rick set a new long course Worlds Record on his historic two way run earlier this week at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Riding a Suzuki Factory supplied Hayabusa, Rick was clocked at over 201.7 mph.
The bike was stock apart from fresh pistons and a Web Cam camshaft.

http://www.blacksheep.com/clay/bussa/buss1.gif
On a tragic note, long time racer and Hayabusa owner Mike Burns died of natural causes while attending the event.

http://www.blacksheep.com/clay/bussa/buss2.gif
Gods speed mike-

Sorry about Mike Burns, but we all have to go sometime and I think it's nice if it happens while we're doing something we love.

On the 200mph+ Cool!

What was the rwhp of the bike?
Was it lowered?
The Web Cam - lift/duration?
Factory supplied - how did he get that?
Was it Y2K?

If you had read my email last week you would have seen where I wrote : "Did you know that a modified Busa with nitrous made a run at 217 mph in the UK - documented by another british cycle mag?" [10/18/99 1:32pm Central Time]

Quote from Turbo Rick after his return from Bonneville : "The traction on the salt was not so good and it was hard to keep the bike above 200 mph without breaking traction the
max speed I had was 210 mph but I couldn't hold it through the traps" [10/25/99]

Congrads to Turbo Rick!! Busas RULE!

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 25 October 1999).]

Back