Turbo trouble, help!

OB_mbuehler

Registered
Went out running around again, and I don't seem to be making boost anymore. Bike actually gets very weak at 9k on up, and is smoking a bit. Also noticed soot has been blowing out the waste gate, which I thought just dealt with air. Pulled the air filter off the turbo, and alot of mobile 1 came out with it. Turbines still spin freely, but I don't think there should be lots of oil kicking around in there as well. Also getting oil leaking out of the unit itself from the look of things. I'm thinking the unit itself is screwed up? Broken gasket perhaps? It seems to be bulging out around the bottom of the unit. I get no boost now, but the turbines definately are turning.

This sucks! This bike is my car, need to keep it running. The seal doesn't look too difficult to replace. Think anybody stocks seals for RAYJAY turbos?

How tight is the v band clamp that goes around the turbo bearing housing itself...???
Yes you can try majestic turbo ...you need to call mr turbo and talk to them about this...this should not!!!!! be happening!!!!
good luck,
sebastian

sounds like your oil is not draining properly and building up till it leaks out the seal .if its the mr turbo kit your electric sump pumps not keeping up.the ff 40 is not good at sealing if the oil drainage is poor.make sure the pump is working and that its working properly.

Mbuhler been waiting for you to call me. yes there is a lot of oil blowing out of the ex. 1. how do you have your pcv/breather connected,I have mine going directly to a k&n 2 1/2 by 3 in. filter with a 1/2 in. hose so as the crankcase vents 2. Ive had this same problem with mine mr turbo has sent a revison putting the oil discharge line into the cluch cover but it did nothing. The next thing is buying a new oil pump to overcome crankcase p.s.i Im tring to troubleshoot this thing as we speak also do you have a nasty 4000-5500 rpm surge with your powercomm. I did and to get rid of it Im using the stock ecm now untill I find out how this thing is programed try to get in touch with me cpljamie@aol.com thanks

P.S. turn your waste gate nut clockwise to turn up the boost be careful I turned mine up to much on a test ride and got 18psi on my boost gage I though I was on approch in a Lear!

The last time I had a problem like yours the bearing was shot in Turbo. They are not really very heavy duty. If bearing looses oil supply for less than a second, bearing will fail. Bearing is actually an aluminium bushing. Just something to look at if seal not the problem.

The heat shields in Rajays are spot welded and will break away if no or low oil pressure. Did you turn the bike off just after riding hard? I would spend an extra few bucks for the stainless steel heat shield if that turns out to be the problem.

Thanks for the help. I've got a head cold and this isn't helping my mood any. Mr. Turbo kit's oil pump runs off the old fuel pump connections. When you turn the bike on, before starting, you can hear it suck what's left out of the turbo. The return lines get hot the whole way back to the right case we tapped for the return line, so I believe it's moving oil, but not sure how much. I'm also assuming the turbo itself is put together right, and that the clamp is tightened correctly. Instructions never mentioned having to check any of that. I'll pull the exit line off the pump tomorrow to make sure it's moving oil, and get on the phone with Mr. Turbo to find out what's going on.

Not happy!

Back