Twitchy Turns

det45

Registered
Last weekend I was hitting some curves on my Gen 2 with the stock original tires (3k miles on them) at about 60MPH and noticed the bike twitching the front tire in the turn. The curves I was on were smooth with only minor tar repairs for minor shallow surface cracks. Is this normal for the Busa to be that sensitive in the turns or is it the tires?......det45 :thumbsup:

If it just started, it's most likely your tire(s), check your air pressure too. If you are ridin a little better/faster than normal, you may need to adjust your suspension, front and rear, they work together.
Hard to say for sure with limited details. If your tires appear still in good shape, and aren't dipped or cupped out (rigid almost wavy like wearing on the edges) then try stiffing your front forks a little first, then the rear.

the one thing i noticed with my gsxr 750 and now the busa, is when u hit those tar repair strips on the road, they are almost like ice. I almost laid the busa down once with the wife on the back bc i hit a patch of tar strips in the middle of a turn. They are extremely slick when it's hot out, about 80 deg or so. Not sure if this is your issue, but i have noticed numerous times while in a turn, and there are some tar repair strips, the front end will twitch a bit as the front tire is losing traction while hitting those damn things. Scares the crap out of me

As mentioned, check tire pressure. Also check to see if the front tire is cupping.

Last weekend I was hitting some curves on my Gen 2 with the stock original tires (3k miles on them) at about 60MPH and noticed the bike twitching the front tire in the turn. The curves I was on were smooth with only minor tar repairs for minor shallow surface cracks. Is this normal for the Busa to be that sensitive in the turns or is it the tires?......det45 :thumbsup:

Can you take a couple of pix of your tires and post 'em? We might be able to see something which could help.

:beerchug:

Busa should be rock solid at just 60 mph. Probably something in the road but if it is repeatable on different road conditions, start looking at something being wrong starting with tires, wheel alignment and then other stuff already mentioned.

Some days the bike does feel better than others though, I think that's normal and could be anything from the rider to the temp and humidity. But you should be able to carve a line at 60 mph any day.

The tar 'snakes' provide a different level of friction than does the standard road surface. Also, they are at a different level than the surrounding blacktop. I could well imagine that you'd feel it through the bars as you ride over them, from one or both of those effects (losing/re-gaining some traction instantaneously, or the suspension making a sudden change reacting to the road surface--or some combination of both). The faster you go, the more pronounced the effect would probably be.

It could be the tire itself, or any of a number of other things, but from your description it sounds most likely it was the road surface making the front end 'twitch'.

Find another set of similar corners without the 'tar snakes' (if you can) and see if the problem persists--AFTER you rule out the other things that have been mentioned. Don't take any chances, just in case you do have a mechanical issue.

For what it's worth, at 3K miles, my stock front tire was still good to go, but the rear was getting pretty worn.

I had about 500 miles on my original tires and was riding pretty aggressively::laugh::laugh: and the bike was all over the place. I put a set of pilot power 2cts on and the bike has never even thought of twitching since:thumbsup:

It may have been the road.... or your tires slowly going away.. or a suspension that needs to be setup.

I would first check tire pressure as suggested... Then look at your tires. Replace if needed. Then set the sag up for your weight... getting the suspension to be in the sweet spot for your weight.. (its a base line.) Then slowly play adjust one item at a time... preload.. the rebound then compression. Takes notes. For 2 years I rode the bike as is.... then ordered some DVD's and a few books to learn how to set up my suspension. For me it was a night and day difference! A much better riding bike.... Hope this helps!

I'm going to agree with: suspension :)
Always overlooked and frequently not configured for it's rider.

Ok thanks for the advice, I think it's the tar strip repairs on the road making my bike twitch.

Back