UNlowering my front end, could use some advice

LuapSouthFlorida

Registered
So I bought my bike used with 480 miles on it. One of things the previous owner did was lower it. While lowering the front end they also replaced the handlebars and mounting plate (IDK the proper name for that). I like it lowered but the bars are too low for my comfort at 6' and I want to bring them back up.
I have the original mouting plate and bars and I think it's just a question of
  • putting the bike on the stand and putting a floor jack under it to support the front
  • loosening the 6 triple tree clamps
  • dropping the forks to leave about a half inch showing
  • tighten the triple tree up
    remount the bar mounting plate and bars
However, is this going to look weird with the front raised up and not the back? I have adjustable dog bones so I can raise the rear if I have to.
More importantly, did I miss any steps, or any "gotcha's" along the way?
Do I have to remove bodywork to accomplish this?
I'm also thinking about slipping in a riser plate at the same time to get the bars up even more.
Constructive comments welcomed, joke comments tolerated :D
Thanks in advance
Luap in South Florida

Buy a front fotklift stand, that lifts under the lower triple clamp.
It is much safer and stable than a floor jack under the exhaust.

I have one but because it's lowered it doesn't fit in between the fender and the headlight nacelle

Try rolling the front tire up on a 2x4 or something similiar in size.
The stand arm should line up then.
Put a towel over the fender to prevent scratches.
I've had to do several this way over the years.

So the issue is, i have to raise the triple clamp (drop the forks) to use the factory bar mount as the factory one doesn't slide down over the fork tubes like the lowering kit mount does. The top of the triple clamp has to be 5mm below the top of the fork tube to use the factory mount.
Maybe ALIF makes a riser but I didn't find one
20221207_103257.jpg

Screenshot_20221211-225641_Chrome.jpg

everyone makes adjustments to the BARS... but have u ever considered having a seat made so that YOU and your body is slightly LESS canted foward... if u notice the factory seat angles u RIGHT into the tank, placing ALL your bodyweight into the bars... I had a seat made for touring that was JUST right for me. think about it... think about how much weight is on your wrists because of how the seat angles YOUR whole body. everyone fights the same battle and it seems like no matter how high they get those bars.... its never enough. go ahead... read the threads about heli-bars and alllll kinds of handlebar mod, in the end... it generally is "good enough"
Honestly I never even considered that as a solution. I do tend to move around on the seat a little bit . Do you have pictures of your seat set up so I can see what you mean?

lowered the front 1.027 inches ( I used a caliper) . I installed the riser plate which raised the handle bars back up and it also moves them back towards you a little bit. I used a rear tire lift and a jack under the catalytic converter under the bike. There is a video of a guy installing this on his bike. His bike is a gen 2. On youtube. He has the red bike. The install is similar to ours.

20221009_084654.jpg

lowered the front 1.027 inches ( I used a caliper) . I installed the riser plate which raised the handle bars back up and it also moves them back towards you a little bit. I used a rear tire lift and a jack under the catalytic converter under the bike. There is a video of a guy installing this on his bike. His bike is a gen 2. On youtube. He has the red bike. The install is similar to ours.

View attachment 1658947
I think this may be my best option. Use the Helibar as a spacer to fill the gap between the triple clamp and the bar mounting plate. That should at least get my bars back to stock height or very close

That’s true alowered seat, as long as it’s still comfortable (streetable) also helps. Take the seat off and sit on it, maybe go around the block. See how it feels on the wrists.

Do one fork leg at a time. You can twist and walk it into place while using a Jack under the bike.

Reactions: pcs
Well I got things sorted out the way I want them today.
I purchased a Helibar riser which comes with longer bolts, also bought the handlebar cushions, and bottle of blue loctite and today removed the ALIF lowering bar mount and bars. The Helibar took up the space at the top of the fork tubes and the factory mount went on top. This setup also re-used the bushings and rubber mounts so I didn't have to buy those. The end result is my bars are a little higher than stock bars but the bike ride height is still lowered front and back. Not wanting to return the bike to stock ride height, this is the ideal solution for me.

bars lowered.jpg

bars raised.jpg

Well I got things sorted out the way I want them today.

I purchased a Helibar riser which comes with longer bolts, also bought the handlebar cushions, and bottle of blue loctite and today removed the ALIF lowering bar mount and bars. The Helibar took up the space at the top of the fork tubes and the factory mount went on top. This setup also re-used the bushings and rubber mounts so I didn't have to buy those. The end result is my bars are a little higher than stock bars but the bike ride height is still lowered front and back. Not wanting to return the bike to stock ride height, this is the ideal solution for me.

Pain in the ass getting to those 4 bolts

You can say that again.
I mean don't say it again really :laugh: but yeah
Removing the windshield gave me room to work on the front two but even then you could only turn them a few degrees at a time.

The gen2 is the same way, lol
I did spacers and Heli-bars at one time, and later a Spiegler/LSL top clamp.
But I'll be adding that Heli-bar spacer to my future gen3.
I still wonder why Heli-bars didn't make the actual bars for the gen3 like the gen1 and 2? Or that no one has tried those on the gen3 yet?

The gen2 is the same way, lol
I did spacers and Heli-bars at one time, and later a Spiegler/LSL top clamp.
But I'll be adding that Heli-bar spacer to my future gen3.
I still wonder why Heli-bars didn't make the actual bars for the gen3 like the gen1 and 2? Or that no one has tried those on the gen3 yet?
Hmm i guess then it would be a bar mount instead of a spacer. Since the bar mount goes on top of it you get a little extra height which is what i was going for. In my situation I'm glad it is the way it is :thumbsup:

Hmm i guess then it would be a bar mount instead of a spacer. Since the bar mount goes on top of it you get a little extra height which is what i was going for. In my situation I'm glad it is the way it is :thumbsup:

Yes, bar spacers are available for gen 1 and 2 also, but so are the actual Heli-bar brand bars, which change the angle, and the outer end of the bars is higher.
Oh well, I'll find out whenever I buy one.
Regardless, yours looks good...even if it is white :poke:
lol

Yes, bar spacers are available for gen 1 and 2 also, but so are the actual Heli-bar brand bars, which change the angle, and the outer end of the bars is higher.
Oh well, I'll find out whenever I buy one.
Regardless, yours looks good...even if it is white :poke:
lol
:race: White is the fastest color
Ha ha, thanks. Actually of the factory choices I think it's the most eye catching plus down here in the tropical sun you don't burn your skin when you touch the paint, which is a plus

Back