upshifting with no clutch

hemroid

Registered
i dont think it will hurt anything but has anyone else done this it just shifts so smooth and quick i drive an eighteen wheeler and never use the clutch but have never had a bike that would shift this way harleys will do nothing but grind

Welcome on board... Shifting without the clutch is very much the norm... Much quicker and smoother to do..

Using the clutch on up shifting is a waste of time. Just blip the throttle lightly when shifting to unload the tranny and she will shift like a dream.
smile.gif

If you're really coming aboard the throttle, your shifting will be much smoother without the clutch. An additional technique is to pre load the shifter so it slips into gear as soon as you blip the throttle. Lee Parks recommends this technique in his "Total Control" book.
Regards,
Cougar

is it me or is your text impossible to read.... change the color

I had to highlight everything to read it.

Its not a good habit to shift without the clutch IMO... but there are a lot of people who do it, and are of the opinion that it does not matter!!
Each to his own...

I can upshift/downshift clutchless. no idea how it effects longetivity though as i have never ridden these bikes too long.

If I'm ridin' lazy...I use the clutch. If I'm getting after it (upshifts only) I don't. Like everyone has said, it's quicker and smoother.
I have done clutchless shifts on every bike I've owned (27 yrs worth) and never had a problem.

I'M ALL SET. I'LL STICK W/ THE CLUTCH LEVER. THEY PUT IT ON THERE FOR A REASON. I AM TO BROKE TO RISK LOSING MY CLUTCH OR FOULING UP THE ENGINE IN SOME WAY.

Back