What is a an average "day" of riding for you?

How often and long do you ride?

• I ride daily

Votes: 54 36.0%
  • I ride weekly

Votes: 56 37.3%
  • I ride a couple times a month

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • Less than 1 hour a day

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Less than 2 hours a day

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • less than 3 hours a day

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • 4-6 hours a day

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • More than 6 hours a day (better be ready to back it up)

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
So just how much seat time do you get? I was thinking about the "dinner ride" at bash and then the post by "PJ" on ride safety and the amount of time most riders get in the saddle on a daily basis..

Figure out what you ride in a week and then divide by 7, this will allow for the weekend warrior to get in the mix :) Note that you can make 2 choices.. 1: how often you ride 2: what the "daily" average is

I have seen a lot of guys buy bikes (more cruisers) and then they just sit in the garage..

The idea here is mostly to make you aware of what a 'days' ride is to you and keeping in mind "fatigue" is a genuine issue as the day wears on.. If it makes you pay a bit more attention towards the end of the day then I am glad... Ask any snow skier when and why they get hurt :)

This became acutely aware to me at "track days" this year.. I did a couple "2 day" events and frankly I could not pull it off.. by half way through day 2, I was tired out.. could still ride but at a reduced level and not with all the concentration the track needs.. A typical track day is 7-8 twenty minute sessions FWIW.. So worn out in 2 hours of hard riding..

I dont get to ride as often as I like, and I cant ride to work with having to get kids off to school and pick them up. But I do ride a couple times a month and I typically log a few hundred miles each ride.

Not nearly as much as I like.

1: Try to ride at least couple times a week to commute
2: Daliy average is around 50 miles.

More on weekends..

Excellent point:

"The idea here is mostly to make you aware of what a 'days' ride is to you and keeping in mind "fatigue" is a genuine issue as the day wears on.. If it makes you pay a bit more attention towards the end of the day then I am glad... Ask any snow skier when and why they get hurt "

I'm not going to BS....I'm pretty much a weekend warrior. Especially w/ a hard, long work week. I'll ride the Busa to the office from time to time, but the logistics do not make it easy.

So I'd say I average about 12hrs a week. Usually about 3-6hrs on Sat and at least 6hrs on Sundays.

While I appreciate your concern for the dinner ride @ the Bash. And rider fatigue.
It's laughable to remotely compare riding all day at the Dragon and then doing a casual ride home from a dinner, even if it is in the dark. ......to doing two full days of high level track riding.
Just my opinion....but I think it was silly that the dinner even had to be moved up. Most everyone that is attending the Bash is more then capable of a good full days worth of riding and a night ride as well.

Again...I appreciate your concern for safety. Just my $0.02

Flame away-

Last edited:
I try to use the bike to commute to work everyday to save on gas. One way to work is less than 6 miles plus where ever I go for lunch on that day so I'm way under an hour on the bike. :beerchug:

I pretty much ride daily. On the occasions where I miss a few days I can really feel my proficiency drop.

I'm not going to BS....I'm pretty much a weekend warrior. Especially w/ a hard, long work week. I'll ride the Busa to the office from time to time, but the logistics do not make it easy.

So I'd say I average about 12hrs a week. Usually about 3-6hrs on Sat and at least 6hrs on Sundays.

While I appreciate your concern for the dinner ride @ the Bash. And rider fatigue.
It's laughable to remotely compare riding all day at the Dragon and then doing a casual ride home from a dinner, even if it is in the dark. ......to doing two days of full high level track riding.
Just my opinion....but I think it was silly that the dinner even had to be moved up. Most everyone that is attending the Bash is more then capable of a good full days worth of riding and a night ride as well.

Again...I appreciate your concern for safety. Just my $0.02

Flame away-
Point noted and no flames to be lit.. (but the ride home is may not be as "casual" as you might hope.. the last 10 miles up 28 is highly technical and can get you in a ton of trouble really fast).. I might even suggest going "around" 28

I have about a dozen trips to Deals Gap under my belt and it is not that far from "track riding" relative to concentration levels needed to survive a long day of riding there. (you do not need to take my word for it, ask around about HellBender, CherryCola skyway, Dragon, Parkway rides)

Ask most anyone that has ridden the "dragon" 1 time.. they usually have had enough after 1 trip (well for the time being).

By 5 o'clock, the Phillips is pretty busy with riders coming from the days rides and almost without fail.. TIRED...

The roads are "technical" with lots of turns of every description, elevation changes and TONS of traffic (some of which will be in your lane going the wrong way)...

The point to be had is that if you are riding more than you are used too, you are going to be tired.. this was pointed out in the other 2 threads and again right here.. A full day of riding at the Bash is typically a lot more than people are used to is all....

I hear from a lot of people at every single bash... "wow did I ever have a lot to learn about riding, I feel as though my skills have improved 1000%" Most riders do NOT have roads like these and is why so many crash every "Bash" I bet we lose at least 5 bikes per bash..

Last edited:
Point noted and no flames to be lit.. (but the ride home is may not be as "casual" as you might hope.. the last 10 miles up 28 is highly technical and can get you in a ton of trouble really fast).. I might even suggest going "around" 28

I have about a dozen trips to Deals Gap under my belt and it is not that far from "track riding" relative to concentration levels needed to survive a long day of riding there. (you do not need to take my word for it, ask around about HellBender, CherryCola skyway, Dragon, Parkway rides)

Ask most anyone that has ridden the "dragon" 1 time.. they usually have had enough after 1 trip (well for the time being).

By 5 o'clock, the Phillips is pretty busy with riders coming from the days rides and almost without fail.. TIRED...

The roads are "technical" with lots of turns of every description, elevation changes and TONS of traffic (some of which will be in your lane going the wrong way)...

The point to be had is that if you are riding more than you are used too, you are going to be tired.. this was pointed out in the other 2 threads and again right here.. A full day of riding at the Bash is typically a lot more than people are used to is all....

Roger that. Can't argue w/ experience.

Looking forward to seeing you there :thumbsup:

Roger that. Can't argue w/ experience.

Looking forward to seeing you there :thumbsup:
you are going to have a BLAST!!!

hope we do not get rained on too hard.. it tends to rain in 'areas' for a bit and the rest of the place is pretty dry.. I am leaving out in the AM for some pre-rides and then a couple days of asphalt pounding before the crowds show up.. :)

When i take the busa out it is usually for about 2-300 miles if its a planned trip.

Yea those track days kick the crap out of you. I pulled a 350 mile joy ride on the busa last saturday and then took the gixxer to the track on sunday. By the last session of the day i could barely walk when I got off the bike. I had to stop. I no longer had the strength to hang off the bike. Also some tracks are alot harder on your body than others.

I get to ride daily (well as long as weather permits) to and from work and then we will ride a couple hours every evening and then most of Saturday or Sunday.. I have to do chores the day I dont ride...

Then I get to stare at the bike on the rack for 6 months while snow screws up everything..

i ride to work every day there isnt a tornado or monsoon during riding season aprox 1 1/2 hrs then on average in a week id say 15 recreational hours

I don't commute on the Busa as it is pretty much bumper to bumper for half the trip and the only thing worse than gridlock in a car is gridlock on a bike. That leaves evenings and weekends of which I try to get out 2 or 3 evenings per week (although some of those evenings I spend on my road bike as cycling is my other big love) for an hour or two and then weekends I try and get out for one or both days depending on my kids activities, etc.

Yeah I ride almost everyday whether it's to work or not, then after work I'll go out for a bit and make a longer trip sometime 60+ miles sometimes less, then I'll go out on the weekend for a long ride for 2-4 hours. Been trying to figure out how to mix my usual activities back into my schedule since I got my bike... That includes art, writing, work outs, cycling (with a road bike like bazooki), and I've got an indy film to finish editing!:banghead:
I'm logging a lot of hours but considering this is my first year riding I don't think it would be wise for me to try a roadtrip all the way from Texas to North Carolina. At least not yet anyway. Wish I could be there though, it sounds like serious fun!:thumbsup:

I've never considered commuting on the Busa because the bike would have to sit outside over night while I work. I used to set aside one day a week to ride, but can't do it anymore with my new work schedule. So I only get to go out about twice a month now, but those days are usually around 350 miles, in 8 to 10 hours. I usually go to destinations like the Skyway, the Dragon, or Blood Mountain. I guess most of my riding is on pretty technical roads. My Busa spends the majority of its time looking pretty in the garage, but when we go out it's for always very good time.

Try to ride every day even if it's just to lunch and back. Have put in plenty of long days. Just recently did a 700 mile trip.

I do so enjoy my Busa :bowdown:

Back