what is a rebuildable salvage title?

rockethead

Registered
I have some cash saved and was looking around for a used sportbike (maybe a gsxr750), when I do searches I get a lot of hits for rebuildable bikes with *small scratches here and there. they seem to come with a salvage title, what the heck does that mean? Can I even get it titled in my name? any suggestions/ opinions would be appriciated. thanks

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcd/2195820184.html

A salvaged title is a vehicle that has been totaled and claimed as a total loss through insurance.

Depends on the state if you can title it or not, some states salvage titles you can not have re registered, and some I believe have 2 different types, salvage and total destruction??... I think, not completely sure on that one.

A rebuildable salvaged title would mean a bike that still needs to be rebuilt and inspected to grant a title that will allow the vehicle to be registered.

A typical salvaged title would be a bike that has already been rebuilt and is eligible for registration.

This is what I 'think' I know about the subject anyway. I'm no expert.

thanks man, that sheds light on the subject, gives me a place to start... the DMV :laugh: i'll head down there and get the scoop,

Be careful - Be very careful!

Be afraid - Be very afraid!

May be penny wise and pound foolish

May look ok - but insurance companies don't write them off for no reason.

Frame damage - cough cough almost inpreceptable.

Just be careful - which I know is why you asked the question.:thumbsup:

"overall scrapes and road rash. we brush touched it up and it is present-able enough to ride it as it is. Only 300 miles on it."

If this bike comes with a salvage title, walk away. Only road rash is almost never a factor to total out a bike. It sounds like they are really trying to talk down any real damage.

yup tx is one that has a rebuildable and a non-rebuildable (normally frame damage from what I hear) I had a friend buy one at auction with a rebuildable with cosmetic damage, looked to have fallen over(no sliding rash). left side fairing, left side of nose, mirror, clip on, dented tank from clip on, left side of tail. couldnt pass it up only had 468 miles on it. It was just a couple more forms to fill out and a little more $$ for dmv to file those forms. I couldnt be happier with it.

Although I have no experience with the matter, if you decide to pick up a salvaged title bike, check with your insurance company before you go dumping too much money into it.

I've heard of people having troubles getting full coverage on salvaged title vehicles. Maybe someone who has dealt with the issue can chime in?

I no that some wont insure them however some need pictures and they will need to appraise it. I personally have liability with theft from dairyland.
Posted via Mobile Device

another factor to consider is when it comes time for you to sell the bike. i shy away from reconstructed title vehicles. I know others that do too. could be hard to sell for a decent price.

thanks for the info. i figured it was a gamble, I will just wait till I find a clean used 750 from a private seller. I'm sure there are good deals to be found with these salvage titles, but moloco is right, for as often as I trade/sell bikes I don't want to get stuck with something that won't bring in a good price.

an insurance company will salvage a bike, if the cost to repair it is more than the bike can be sold at auction. The do not want to pay $5k to fix a bike that can be replaced for $6k.

when a bike is crashed and repaired by insurance, all damage is fixed....all damage. Even silly things like scratched footpegs or levers even stock exhaust cans. if scratched frames will need to be replaced to bring the bike to near new condition.

Most bikes are not salvaged due to bent frames being unsafe, most are salvaged because the cost to replace a scratched or dented frame is just too high. you can get a good bike, that has fairing damage for cheap.....and have a good bike, but it will not have good re-sale value.

Salvage title bikes are a good option, but are a bad investment......remember that "salvage title" should also have a "salvage price".

Back