What is that "ssst ssst sst" noise @ 5K rpms?

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
I noticed this today when in 1st gear @ 5k rpms, its hard to explain but its kind of a "ssst ssst ssst" noise. Is it just some kind of vibration harmonic or something or is there another explanation?

<!--EDIT|BentValve
Reason for Edit: "yep"|1113778659 -->

On my bike, I hear what seems to be various intake noises. Sometimes it's like a hissing sound. I have a K&N filter on the way, it will be interesting to see of that makes a different noise.

yea, thats a big problem ...... the only fix is to twist the throttle back..
he he!
biggrin.gif

"You see officer , my bike has this problem.."

I noticed this today when in 1st gear @ 5k rpms, its hard to explain but its kind of a "ssst ssst ssst" noise. Is it just some kind of vibration harmonic or something or is there another explanation?
Have you tried to put your left hand on your windshield when hearing the noise to see if it goes away?

If it does, take off the windshield and put a couple of layers of electical tape over the edge that mates to the slot in front plastic to tighten it up..

Just a thought....

could possibly be your hearing the fuel pump over the motor/noise.. be kinda hard to imagine but i guess it's possible..

i would put my money on something going on in the airbox with the flapper though.. not sure what rpm it changes from open to closed but if it's aroudn there I bet thats it..

never noticed it.. although i do have something making a vib noise somewhere on mine at various rpms.. not having much luck finding it .. not bad just annoying when I'm not wearing ear plugs.. I think it must be down under/behind the fairings somwhere though.. I've grabbed everything i can get my hands on going down the road trying to find it already.

Have you tried to put your left hand on your windshield when hearing the noise to see if it goes away?

If it does, take off the windshield and put a couple of layers of electical tape over the edge that mates to the slot in front plastic to tighten it up..

Just a thought....
Just wanted to bring this back up and say thanks...that was it. I will try electrical tape on it like you suggested.

Just a thought....
Just wanted to bring this back up and say thanks...that was it.  I will try electrical tape on it like you suggested.
Outstanding - glad I could help someone else for a change.

The sound and vibration you hear is normal (about 4500-5000 rpm) this is when your Busa is starting to hit the the torque range from that point you will notice if you trottle up the Busa will launch. Don't worry about it it does that on mine to... It's just the bike telling you to go faster...
biggrin.gif

Hayabusa_033a.jpg

Back