Why is my oil light flickering on and off?????

spook 1

Registered
Guys, need your input. I just changed my oil (dumped it after 100 mile break in), put 3.5 qts of Suzuki 20w-50 oil in, the sight window is full when the bike is upright, empty when on the side stand. I was putting on some miles yesterday and noticed that the oil light flickered under moderate breaking and acceleration. WTF is up with that? What am I missing? The temperature was around 80 degrees. Can you give me an idea of what is going on before I contact the deaer? Oh, the bike is an 03 anniversary model. Thanks in advance. Spook

might not be enough oil in it.... you're supposed to run the engine up to temp and leave sit for 3 min and then check the site glass with it upright and level. I usually run about 3.6 -3.75 qt if I remember right. The filter holds a small amount.

Thanks. The oil site gauge is completely full when the bike is upright. I will try putting a few more onces of oil in and see if that "cures" the issue. Thanks for the reply.

hmm, I was going to ask the stupid question of whether or not you put the crankcase plug back in but you would have noticed that when you added more oil .. hmm .. is the crankcase pressurized like the fuel system ? If so, maybe the oil filter has worked itself loose and is venting crankcase oil or air ?

You might want to check the oil pressure sending unit to see if the wire is loose? If the sight glass is full then putting a little oil will not make that much difference.

Just a thought.  Suzuki recommends 10W-40 for the Busa.  Other weights OK if 10W-40 not available.  Your 20W-50 selection may be a touch too heavy to keep that oil light off all the time.  Also, 3.5 quarts is the amount with a filter change.  No filter change is 3.3 quarts.  Don't add any more.

My new 03 Busa oil light flickered when I brought it home from the dealer.  He had warned me in advance that it might happen but not to worry about it. Said it was a quirk with the new oil pressure sensor was using.  My oil was not at the sight glass high mark.  I added 1/3 quart to bring it up.  The flickering went away by the next day.  I'm on my third oil change, and it hasn't flickered since.

Stockerjo

Had the same problem on my 03, driving it home brand new, it happened a few more times, that week , took it back they put a new sensor in it, said it was fixed , driving home it did it again, read a thread about break in debri maybe causing a short on the sensor so I dumped my oil even though it had only had 100 miles and it has never happened again.

It has been raining morning, noon and night and I haven't been able to even get the bike out of the garage. Then to top everything, the house got struck by lightning the other night, no one hurt, structure is fine: electronics are fried. Oh well. Anyway, thanks for the responses and as soon as I don't need an ark, I will try the bike again. By the way, I tried the 10-40, it flickered. After 10 miles I dumped that and put in the 20-50 per dealer recommendation for summer driving. Time will tell. Thanks again. Spook.

Back