XX to Busa owners: need advice!!!

G

I currently own a 97 XX and could have it sold by this weekend. After riding a R1 I thought my next bike would be of the "lite" variety. I found a Busa with 700 miles on it for about 9500(black/gray). My question is what are the actual differences I will feel between the XX and the Busa other than power! (The overall feel,weight,handling the clutch,brakes etc.) The XX kinda feels big up front, do you get that on the Busa?

I'm new on this site and have been an innocent by-stander for the past week, but I figured I might as well get in on this one.

I had a 99 XX, and I've been told that the 99 XX was stronger than the 97 and 98 models because the 99's FI removed the flat spots. Given that, this may not be an apples to apples comparison since you have a 97.

However, overall, the Busa is much more than just a more powerful bike. The XX does indeed feel much heavier up front than the busa (I still have a hard time convincing myself that the bikes weigh in about the same). The ride on the busa is totally different, with more input from road surfaces. The busa corners much, much better, so much easier to flick it through the twisties. The XX's suspension was hardly adjustable while the busa is fully. You can fine tune the busa for your weight,riding style, day's course, etc.

I sold my XX to my best friend, so I see the engine comparisons every time we ride. Suffice to say, the XX is no match for the busa anywhere in the rev range. I can pass my buddy at will on the straights and he's not much of a match in the twisties either (I say not much because he can get on the power earlier on exits with the XX) .

But don't get me wrong, there are several qualities of the XX that beat out the busa IMHO. For starters, I thought I'd hate the linked brakes on the XX, but the brakes on the XX feel more solid than the busa. The front brake on the busa is simply not as strong as it should be given the power the engine puts out. Also, when I'd go in too deep in a corner on the XX and have to do mid-corner braking, the XX was stable and predictable. ( I know some may say you suck as a rider if you brake mid-corner, but alas, I'm not Foggy, so sometimes I get in over my head). The busa on the other hand has a very disturbing habit of standing up on corner braking. You're guaranteed to go off in a steep corner if you have to get on the fronts. The XX's LBS worked pretty damn good in retrospect when compared to the busa.

While both bikes handle and ride great around town at < 4,500 rpm, the XX is much more comfortable. None of the buzzing and low-speed knocking, and the clutch on the XX is silky smooth compared to the busa. Honda seemed to have paid more attention to fit and finish as well, as there aren't useless parts like cheap plastic fairing pins that are prone to tear up everytime you need to change the oil.

At high speeds, 150+, the XX feels like a cadillac rocket with the ride being so smooth, and only the wind noise and the stripes on the highway tell you that you're hauling. The busa on the other hand is a little scary (at least for me), and feels less stable at high speeds.

Needless to say, I miss my XX sometimes, but I'd never trade my busa for the blackbird. I just have to admire my old XX from my rearview mirror.

I`d probably agree with most everything slater says...I still love the old honda cbx`s but honda has always come up a day late and a dollar short...and they will never change...they`re afraid something like the busa may hurt thier image...someone complaining in Washington about how they built a bike that is going to get someone killed..they try to project a performance image by a big racing effort but seldom relate that to the street in the open class. The blackbird was the first serious attempt they have made since the cbx...probably be twenty more years.......they`d rather sell goldwings and 4 wheelers.....

Back