YellowBox came through!

OB_Animal

Registered
Those of you waiting on a YellowBox electronic speedo correction device, rest assured.
Like Sherm tried to tell us a couple of days ago already, all is well and they will arrive.
They (Black Industries/Roman Black/TLR99) have indeed been closed for a 4 week period around X-mas but today my unit finally arrived.
Will now start "spreading the word" about their product.

Well now, I have been waiting for one for a long time. I was told I was the first person to order one. So far *NOTHING*, zip, nada......

Kowa Seiki makes a nice set of terminal picks (used to remove the male and female connector pins). I have used dental picks before, but these tools are the ones made for disassembly of the OEM connectors.

Their connector sets are oem type, not like the generic quality you find at radio shack.
The water resistant boots are the best you will ever find, the parts are refillable from Kowa.

AKS-316-1000 terminal pick set
KL-10-1 Connector set (terminal kit)

Use of these tools will allow you to install radar detectors and replacement turn signals with the same quality as Suzuki did with the OEM wiring harness.

Kowa is the manufacturer of Honda OEM tool kits and special service tools for the Japanese auto and motorcycle companies.

Kowa www.kowatools.com 800-824-9655 Cerritos, California

The "cut and splice" version is not really as bad as it sounds. You only have to strip a little wire from the 4 leads on the speedo sensor wire. It's only 16 or 18 gauge wire - very easy to strip. Then just heat it up a little with a small soldering iron and use a small amount of fine solder. Only one wire has to be cut and each end is soldered to a lead coming from the Yellow Box. After finishing wrap in electical tape or heat shrink going back to the Yellow Box. It was a 30-40 minute job and I went slow taking my time not to make a mistake. It is well worth the small amount of time and trouble. I wouldn't have gone to the trouble otherwise. The ~ 1 foot speedo sensor lead can be completely removed easily so you can solder on a flat surface away from the bike.

You can prepare for your Yellow Box before it arrives by determining what setting you will need based on the amount of error you currently have now. That way you will be ready to program the Yellow Box for your exact error when you install it. One way is to get on the interstate and stop at a mile marker sign. Reset your trip counter to zero and start riding at 75 - 80 mph. Take note of your trip counter at the next 5 mile marker and 10 mile marker. Your trip counter will more than likey read higher than the actual mileage traveled. (5.4 on trip counter for 5 miles actual for example)
Divide the trip counter reading by the actual travel distance. [5.4 / 5 = 1.08]
This would indicate an 8% error of your speedo reading fast. You would then be ready to program your Yellow Box for a 1.08 ratio from the tables provided with the Yellow Box to correct the error. Duplicate your road tests using different mile marker signs to verify. Did you know that with an 8% error like this that if you ride 1000 miles indicated on your Busa your speedo will show you have 80 extra miles on your bike that you never really rode? The biggest advantage of course is knowing how fast you are really going instead of always having to go faster than indicated in order to reach a true desired speed.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 18 January 2000).]

Animal:

Seems like it was around October for me. another beta tested loaned me his box and I ordered one to replace it thinking it would be in so I could give it back to Chuck.

I have been lucky since Chuck's bike has been down since then, but he is about to get it back up and running so I need a replacement quick.

JeffW, my guess is that yours is on its way as well and maybe I was just more lucky with the mail or because I buggered RomanB with E-mails?

Chuck, must have been painful dealing with all those Busa related parts orders and not having your own available? Glad for you!

Back