Yoshi busa = 182 hp

rotts4u

Registered
I read in this months Motorcyclist that that yoshi busa makes 182 hp and 107 torque. That was with yoshi stock bore pistons, yoshi cams, light rods, head work and crank work. Plus the standard pipe and remap.

How is it possible that we have bikes on the list making way more hp with not as much work and bikes with no internal work making nearly as much hp? Mine included.

Is it possible that our dyno operators are blowing smoke? Or could it be that all of us know much more about building a motor than yoshi?

Opinions please?

don

Yosh detuned the bike for street use Don.Did you know that the race version Busa made 225 horsepower with a stock bore 1300 motor?The bike use to chew tires like a hungry Great White.I havent seen or read where no one has come close to 225 with a stock bore Busa,Hell TTS did it with a 1525cc bike.They had to detune the race Busa to around 200 horsepower at the rear wheel.The street version is no different.It once had 210 at the rear wheel but was detuned for longevity for street use.We have nothing on Yosh when it comes to tuning and getting power from a bike.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Gixxer1300R (edited 31 July 2000).]

That bike was pretty dammed pathetic. Not only did it weigh more than stock, and gain only incremental horsepower, but you have to bump start it and pay $45,000 for the privilage! The paint job looked like it was done by a kindergardener.

I was going to get a Yosh pipe, now I'm not so sure.

There is no doubt that Yoshimura has their "stuff" together, but I fail to understand the "tire shredding" incident...perhaps more
accurate info will make some sense of this as
there are about a bunch of guys going real fast with a lot more power than that and not
"eating" tires. I have a program that puts just shy of 180 to the rear wheel on pump gas, and OEM parts internally with no cylinder head removal...this is not a hard thing to do really given the resources. It is very realistic to achieve these numbers. Believing over 200 from stock bore and stroke
is easy.

Don,

Here's my humble opinion.

Are these the only things modified?

The light rods, crank and pistons don't really add power.
Before you bite me let me explain. The lighter rods and pistons aren't adding anything to the combustion process but the engine will rev quicker. I had this argument with a buddy of mine who went to school for physics. His answer was that the engine does indeed make more power because HP is a measurement of work done over time. When you lighten the assembly the same amount of work is being done, it's just being done in less time. Still with me?

Since the engine can accelerate faster it has more power but depending on what kind of dyno you use it may not show it. For instance, if you put the bike on an acceleration dyno it will read a higher output vs. when it was stock, but if you put it on an Eddie current dyno, one that loads the engine at a certain RPM and then takes a reading, you'll get about the same number you got when the bike was stock. That's got something to do with the way each dyno measures it's power. The acceleration dyno can measure how fast it's drum gets yanked up to speed, from that it knows how much power you've made. An Eddie Current dyno measures the torque of the engine and then mathematically converts that to Hp.

Rest assured that if you had the Yosh bike and another bike that makes the same numbers, the Yosh bike, with it's light internals would accelerate quicker than the heavy internals bike.

On a side note for anyone considering lightening their stuff, I was talking to Carrie Andrew last year at Pocono. I was grilling him on whether lightening stuff was a good idea and he acted as though he really didn't care for it. He said in a road race the tire can break free easier and that more throttle control is needed. He also said it would hurt your torque output. I think he meant you'd lose your flywheel effect. Meaning that if you were riding on a level road and a hill came up the bike would decelerate easier with the lightened internals, whereas the heavy internaled bike would keep going at the same speed longer because of the momentum of the heavy internals.

Something else to think about is control. In the last few years Kawasaki added weight to the clutch basket of their ZX-7. The reasoning was you could get on the throttle sooner and not worry about blowing the tire away in the middle of a curve.

Hope this was easy to understand,
Sorry for the huge post,
Jamie

Thats all they got for $45,000? oh sure i'll have mine done tomorrow, i think i dropped a $20,000.00 bill in my driveway this morning, let me see if its still there?

Back