16/42-43 gearing at the track.

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I recently went to a 16/43 setup and decided to try my launches today on a dead road near my job. I kept noticing I wasn't getting to full throttle until I kick it into 2nd. Realizing this I made certain to go WOT while still in 1st ... and up she came. It wasn't a fearful wheelie so I managed to ride it out and prevent from having the bike slam back down.

My question is with this gearing, stock wheelbase, a 3 inch drop front and rear, and my 160lbs ... should I be able to go clutch out and full throttle by the time I reach the 60ft mark? While I was on that road I was at my normal 1.5 inch drop, but at the track I take it down to 3". The fact that I go that low at the track should help with the wheelie.

I was able to do it (clutch out/WOT) when I was at the stock 17/40, but the 16/43 is an entirely different animal.

Shoot for just past the 60'. On my recent 9.90 pass, I had a 1.622 60'. The log shows my clutch was all the way out right about 2 seconds. The throttle was not to 100% until the 2.2 second mark.

Shoot for just past the 60'. On my recent 9.90 pass, I had a 1.622 60'. The log shows my clutch was all the way out right about 2 seconds. The throttle was not to 100% until the 2.2 second mark.
man we need to get you a clutch.... nothing like a good lockup to get your hand off that lever
lol1.gif

i have an 02...mods in sig. strapped front and lowered all the way in rear with dogbone. stock length and shinko 005. also stock clutch. im 6'8 210lbs

60' 1.78
330' 4.479
1/8 6.68 @ 111.37
1000' 8.61
1/4 10.27 @ 135.44

I am usually at full throttle about 50-55 feet, and out on the clutch at 60'

Is the front of your bike strapped?? It helps tremendously if it is. My bike will wheeloe like mad at the track without the strap

wow ludicris...your riding the hell out of that bike. 6.25 is damn good for your mods. Did you pick up any time when you put the shifter on?

Is the front of your bike strapped??  It helps tremendously if it is.  My bike will wheeloe like mad at the track without the strap
I tried it with my track setup (3" drop front/rear) and it didn't come up. The back wheel broke traction for a split second but then again my tires were pretty cold.

I'll be testing it this upcoming weekend.

Is the front of your bike strapped??  It helps tremendously if it is.  My bike will wheeloe like mad at the track without the strap
I tried it with my track setup (3" drop front/rear) and it didn't come up. The back wheel broke traction for a split second but then again my tires were pretty cold.

That is what it is about....testing and finding what works for you!

That is what it is about....testing and finding what works for you!
Yeah. I'd rather try it on that dead road bit by bit than try it at the track and get overzealous. I'm taking my 60ft VERY serious. Trying it out on that road, I don't even bother shifting into second. I'm just going for the best launch possible. The bike will take care of the rest.
winkold.gif

16/42 and I'm at full throttle when the light turns green.  It's getting the clutch out that is the hard part!!
laugh.gif
I just may have to try 4 inches extra on the arm. 1.62 60's have been about about the best I have gotten out of my stock swingarm. But I know the 1.59s are there.

16/42 and I'm at full throttle when the light turns green.  It's getting the clutch out that is the hard part!!
laugh.gif
I just may have to try 4 inches extra on the arm.  1.62 60's have been about about the best I have gotten out of my stock swingarm. But I know the 1.59s are there.
I have been going 1.58 on the rear tire.  I don't know what it would be if I broke the beems with the front.  It is still wheelie happy, but I think it is all in the shock and spring right now.  I'm thinking of revalving and doing some more suspension work.  Of course, that is after I get it all back together
banghead.gif

I did not pick up anything ET wise with the air shifter, but I was missing second gear occasionally and was worried about the tranny. Now I never miss a shift.

That ET was with stock pipes. I sometimes wonder if it was bogus, as I have never come close to running it again. My next best is a 6.35. Keep in mind that I am 250lbs w/o gear, too!

Back