2020 Pashnit Touring

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

Last Day...

Fifteen or so years ago, a ride buddy of mine told me Highway 178 was a super great motorcycle road. Since ridden it a bunch of times & included it in my Southern Foothills Tour. Couple years ago rode this and we got snowed on at the higher elevations.

DSC01662.jpg

Yup, we're headed up that narrow canyon

DSC01663.jpg

DSC01706.jpg

Anytime you see Joshua Trees, elevations are climbing, they only grow at high desert elevations. Just reminds me of U2. It's said some types of Joshua Trees can grow to over a 1000 years old.

Desert riding involves long stretches of nothing.

DSC01709.jpg

DSC01711.jpg

Highway 395 runs along the CA-NV border for nearly the entire length & runs for 1300 miles north to south bisecting the United States & runs all the up to the Canadian border.

DSC01712.jpg

Museum of Western Film History, No time to go in today, but maybe I'll plan it into a tour someday.

DSC01713.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

Scoping out another museum - every small town has one.

DSC01720.jpg

Highway 395 has a series of dead-end spider roads that head into the Sierra Nevada range. Most run up to lakes

DSC00235.jpg

but the views are tremendous. Mount Whitney Portal is one of these sleeper roads. Super cool.

DSC00236.jpg

Just up the road is Manzanar War Internment Camp. Gotta admit, my public school education never taught me about this sort of thing in my US History class. Internment Camps in America, wait, what? But it's fascinating stuff and it's only recently in last 1-2 decades, park system has begun to rebuild the camp the way it looked in the early 1940s.

IMG_8145.jpg

manzanar-Posted_Japanese_American_Exclusion_Order.jpg

manzanar-3.jpg

Newspaper_headlines_of_Japanese_Relocation_-_NARA.jpg

They were all sent here. And several other camps mostly in desolate places in the American Southwest to wait out the war years.

Manzanar is one of ten internment camps that interned 120,000 Japanese-Americans in 1942-1945. I've been working on an article for this place, but set it down and worked on other articles. Reminder to finish the piece. Must visit if you are in the area.

DSC00835.jpg

DSC00837.jpg

Back