2024 Pashnit Touring on a Hayabusa

Marshall Gold Discover SHP in Coloma is a good mid-morning stop for us to get off the bike and kick tires.

DSC03515.jpg

DSC03516.jpg

DSC03523.jpg

Darling Ridge - seems like it should be somebodies driveway. Nope, two-way traffic county road.

We didn't see one other person the entire length of Darling Ridge Rd

DSC03565.jpg

DSC03566.jpg

But that's cuz there's no people on this road, or homes, or much of anything. That's kinda the point. No one else has ever heard of this one.

DSC03568.jpg

Last edited:
One lane roads…I had a pucker moment heading over hiway 4 one day where it gets real narrow and curvy. You know the area. 108 has some too.

Finger No GIF
Of all the vehicles it could’ve been, a sheriff’s SUV came around a blind section straddling the road heading right towards me. If I’d been going any faster we would’ve hit. I managed a one finger ‘oh no you di’nt’ as we passed.

Headed through Fiddletown. The origin of the name of this tiny foothill town is the source of some debate. At the time of its founding, placer mining was the most popular mining technique, which is heavily dependent on water. The local water source, Dry Creek, ran dry during the summer months, during which time the miners were said to be "fiddling around," thus the name. Alternatively, the name was given because many of the early settlers from Missouri played fiddles for entertainment.

However, I think the locals have rightly chosen the version they want to go with.

IMG_3218.jpg

103_0362.JPG

I used to live not to far away from Fiddletown, and this used to be a nice one-tank ride for me.

IMG_3214.jpg

I think I've brought every bike I've owned through this creek on Hale Rd.

DSCN1837.jpg

Even my TL1000R which does not like bumpy backroads

DSC01016.jpg

But the Busa doesn't mind.

I always date these photos by the mods to the bike. This pic has to be nearly 20 years ago.

Before the silver rims, but with the Bagster & large Bagster silver tank bag (I've collected several through the years) and the Tobin Seat. But before the new undertail, since those are custom made Iceman LED taillights which was on the bike when I got it in 2003, which dates this photo to before when my son was born - who's now in college. Yikes! :laugh:

IMG_0153.jpg

Last edited:
One lane roads…I had a pucker moment heading over hiway 4 one day where it gets real narrow and curvy. You know the area. 108 has some too.

Of all the vehicles it could’ve been, a sheriff’s SUV came around a blind section straddling the road heading right towards me. If I’d been going any faster we would’ve hit. I managed a one finger ‘oh no you di’nt’ as we passed.

Terry as much as I enjoy single lane mountain roads, they can be dangerous. I'm one of the few people I know that have had a head on & walked away.

I was headed into this blind left on Railroad Flat Rd (near West Point, CA) ten years ago & set up to enter the turn on my Z1000 on the far right side of this single lane hairpin. We're always harping on lane position when we do safety briefs with our guys & I'm glad I was following my own advice. If I would have entered this turn on the left or even middle, it would have been much worse.

Railroad-Flat-Rd.jpg

As I came into the turn, a pickup truck with an 18-yr-old kid was coming through the turn on the outside of the lane. Complete wrong side of the road. Swerved to avoid the head on & missed his bumper with the front wheel by about 4 inches. Still too close, he plowed into the bike and my knee when through his headlight and the bumper hit me in the shin right below the knee armor of my leathers. The armor in the leathers certainly saved my knee. The impart ruptured the popliteal ligament in the back of my knee. I used to always buff and polish my leather jacket Marine Corps style before every ride and the truck had black shoe polish smeared across the hood which was me going over the hood. I don't remember the impact, total blank space of time, & I came to rest on the ground and jumped up (adrenaline was flowing) and started admonishing the kid. My ride buddies saw the whole thing & quickly pulled me back and made me stand over there while they called an ambulance & CHP. The poor kid had a drivers license, but the truck wasn't plated, wasn't registered, and no insurance. CHP said the ticket for the kid for an at-fault-accident in an unplated unregistered no insurance vehicle would run him about $2200.

20150410_112725.jpg

Lucky. Nothing broken, but the swelling was so bad in my leg & foot I couldn't wear shoes. I asked the x-ray tech at the emergency room how long the swelling would take to go down so I could get on my riding boots. He said about 10 days. I said I have a motorcycle tour to lead in 12 days. That works for me. :laugh: On the 10th day after the accident the swelling went down enough I could get my riding boots on & I led the next motorcycle tour much to the chagrin of my wife on a borrowed motorcycle since mine was totaled.

Moral of this (long-winded) story is exercise proper lane position on one-lane roads :laugh: & don't get hit head on by a truck. Sucks. :laugh:

20150413_163522.jpg

Back