2024 Pashnit Touring on a Hayabusa

DSC05106.jpg

Anybody need a boat?

DSC05107.jpg

Slalom S-curves go for miles

DSC05109.jpg

Highway 25 is long. It goes for nearly 60 miles like this. And even when you get to the south end of Highway 25, it's another 40 miles to San Miguel. 100 mile stretch of nothing. Nothing out there, no people, few homes, and definitely no gas.

DSC05114.jpg

more long long straight and I'm getting passed, not going fast enough?

DSC05116.jpg

And that Randy. Pretty sure both hands on the bars was in the morning Safety Brief. Dang kids.

DSC05122(2).jpg

Last edited:
And everybody just starts talking. That's the fun thing about bikers on the road. We're always headed somewhere.

Come to learn these guys are from Germany and wandering all over the state. They just started out in Death Valley this morning and ran into us.

DSC05129.jpg

He was a German fella working in San Francisco so despite the thick German accent, he spoke English quite well. Accompanying him was his brother who spoke almost no English.

DSC05126.jpg

DSC05127.jpg

Last edited:
Phil was a guy from my Pashnit Forum, he was a member of my sport-touring Discussion Forum that I ran 20 years ago. That forum grew from a few hundred local riders to over 35,000 members worldwide. It exploded in growth back during the hey-day of Discussion Forums (pre-FB) as my forum centered around motorcycle travel and touring in California.

Phil was on a Honda RC51 and while a beautiful v-twin bike, it was not known for its range. Phil said he could get a little over 100 miles out of the tank on the RC51. That was 2005, exactly 20 years ago to the weekend. It was the 7th motorcycle tour I had ever conducted & I was still pretty green in how to conduct guided motorcycle tours plus attract riders to sign up for my tours.

He joined us for the Central Coast Pashnit Tour as we explored the Pacific Coast Range around the San Luis Obispo region. He knew the area better than I did and after topping off fuel in San Miguel, he led me to Peach Tree Indian Valley Rd, a single lane paved ranch road that connects San Miguel with Tres Pinos. Those two points were important as that’s where the fuel was and our ride was centered around where the fuel stops were. A distance of 99 miles was just right for Phil and his RC51.

Way back in 2005 with Phil and his RC51
153_5399.jpg

154_5404.jpg

Peachtree-Indian Valley Rd
154_5415.jpg

154_5424.jpg

Last edited:
Fast forward almost exactly 20 years to the weekend, and I’m again bombing down Peach Tree Indian Valley Rd enjoying every moment of this remote single lane ranch road awash in a bright layer of spring green. Peachtree Indian Valley Rd is just as awesome as it was the first ride with my buddy Phil in 2005 & it’s just as green as it was 20 years ago.

But this time, I’m not following Phil on his RC51, I’ve got 15 bikes behind me and it’s the 226th (!) Pashnit Motorcycle Tour I have led.

DSC05136.jpg

Add 40 to the 60 we just rode, and you've got 100 miles of nothing. Best day ever!

DSC05134(2).jpg

Peachtree Indian Valley is a remote single lane ranch road, but paved all the way.

DSC05140.jpg

Last edited:
Another 20 miles to Parkfield.

DSC05174.jpg

DSC05177.jpg

We were 10 miles away from our destination, but the color of those clouds(!). The heavens opened up and it was pouring pretty steady.
Not stopping. We're almost there. Cloudburst rain for a good 10 minutes, pretty steady, I can handle that.
Arrive at our destination and it's dry out. So odd.

DSC05176(2).jpg

The first time we rode to the Parkfield Cafe & Lodge was 2005, we discovered a tiny ranching community, pop 18, in the middle of the Temblor Range. The only paved road into the town turns to dirt a few miles outside of town. The town library was in a shipping container with no windows and there was a tiny school. An assembled skeleton of a horse greets you as you ride into the town across a bent bridge.

The opposite sides of the creek bed are traveling in different directions, 2" per year, as the San Andreas Fault line & Pacific Fault Line runs right though the center of town, one of the most active fault lines in the United States. Six successive magnitude 6 earthquakes have occurred on the fault beneath the town at unusually regular intervals, with an average of every 22 years.

Several of the buildings were undeveloped back in 2005, the recognizable water tower in the center of town was being used as a garden shed, just holes in the side of the building with no windows, with rakes & shovels leaned up against it. But it was the perfect lunch stop, and we visited often bringing Pashnit Tours Alumni groups here to eat. Fast forward nearly 20 years, the water tower (previously a tool shed) has been developed into a room you can rent, the original post office from the 1950s is another room you can rent, complete with all the tiny post office boxes, and a small rustic cabin has been built out back for even more accommodation. There's a Jacuzzi and even a pool for those hot summer days. In total, there are just 10 rooms (and 22 beds) for rent in the town.

Every room has a theme, one even has a giant <stuffed> bear (not teddy, the real thing) in the room when you look up.

I rent the whole town. And it's one of the highlights of our entire ride season. If you know of another place in California, like Parkfield, pm me, I'm interested. But so far in all my travels around California, I've not discovered anything quite like this little town.

And yes, Pashnit Tours Alumni are already booking spots for April 2025 via:

DSC05183.jpg

DSC05184.jpg

DSC05186.jpg

Back