2nd gear jerk/skip

aznboi

Registered
only happens in 2nd. i roll on the throttle and it feels like i hit a few power bands throughout the gear. or in other words it skips/jerks a few times while wot. i have slip ons and air box mod if that help n e.

If it only does it in second gear you can eliminate a lot of things. I narrows down to rounded dog on gear or bent shift fork. In either case there is a long road to recovery with a lot of money with it. What year is your bike and how many miles are on it?

2005 and it has bout 5400 on it. and i think i need to tighten the chain, but i still think its a tranny problem.

Hummmmmmm  
sadnews.gif
, skips and jerks WHILE it's in 2nd gear and only does while in the WOT position and not in any other gear. Interesting
winkold.gif
, makes me salivate
drools.gif
 cause I'am gona have to think and dig into my Problem Solving Manual mode  
banghead.gif
. Not that, that's going to help
sad.gif
, but it is an interesting problem  
blush.gif

Hey bud, check with APE, they are a board sponsor and can at the very least help with the fix of this problem.
beerchug.gif

I had the same problem and I checked the chain and sprockets, Changed the Cush Drives, Change out the clutch and all with no luck. I have a buddy with a 04LE and he had around 6K when his 2nd gear went out so you are not exempt from it. Now if you only had like around 1k miles then I would think problem is else where before I would think 2nd is going, going, gone.

Had the same prob. with my 04 w/7k on it. A couple nights work and 600$ and it stays in gear.Good luck.

alrighty. thanks for all the help guys. i really appreciate it. im going to tighten my chain but i dont think thats the case because it only happens in 2nd. so therefore im goin to take it to the local shop here and see what this guy thinks.

It does sound like the dreaded 2nd gear fix is needed. My 99 needed 2nd and 6th gear, all forks and the shift drum.

$300-$700 if you do it yourself. $1200-$1800 up if you have it done. Where are you located?

SOrry for you buddy. I got mine done for $900 a few months back. If you got to an actual shop, be prepared to grab your ankles. Hope you can find someone to hook you up for less.

im located in south ga. i just tightened my chain and have yet to try it because it is soooo cold right now. hopefully thats the case.

Had that happen to mine too. I have an 04 with about 24k miles on it. Had to replace 2nd, 6th, shift forks, shift drum. While he was in there he replaced all gaskets & seals. Took it to the shop on monday & had it back by friday. Everything cost me 2k... Bike rides like new.. It better for that amount of money....I was told that most of the damage was done to the shift fork that controls 2nd & 6th. That false neutral between 5th & 6th is probably what did most of the damage to that fork.

Time to learn how to do ALL the work myself....

Back