40k air filter

SunDevilNorm

Registered
I told my buddy from work with a gen2 bumble bee busa that I changed my air filter and oil at 10k after 2500 miles. He mentioned that he had NEVER changed his air filter since he got the bike 40k miles ago.. I was like whaat! He had no idea how to do it so I offered to help. The gen 3 takes more time to remove the covers..
His replacement was a gen 3 filter so I doused his old one in cleaner fluid repeatedly and blew it out with compressor

First shot is his.. 2nd is my gej3 after 2600 miles

20240416_171301.jpg

20240414_173741.jpg

Wow. At least you got him to change it. Are the red filters OEM? The Gen2 I just bought has what appears to be a brand new filter that is that color red. I prefer OEM to any aftermarket filter for a street bike so it would be good to know mine is OEM.

Wow. At least you got him to change it. Are the red filters OEM? The Gen2 I just bought has what appears to be a brand new filter that is that color red. I prefer OEM to any aftermarket filter for a street bike so it would be good to know mine is OEM.
Yes he bough the oem replacement for a gen3 for his Gen2. So I cleaned the old one as best I could to get him home and told him to order the right one. I replaced my oem filter with an aftermarket bnc reusable which dropped in perfectly

My bike came with a K and N filter that I recharged and cleaned.
I am wondering if I should get a better filter or not like the sprint street or go back to stock.

I have a 4-2-1 yoshimura R77 exhaust, power commander V with that tune, and the K and N.

Bike runs good I just am not a big K and N fan. Plus I am not sure if the sprint one is washable or not.

My bike came with a K and N filter that I recharged and cleaned.
I am wondering if I should get a better filter or not like the sprint street or go back to stock.

I have a 4-2-1 yoshimura R77 exhaust, power commander V with that tune, and the K and N.

Bike runs good I just am not a big K and N fan. Plus I am not sure if the sprint one is washable or not.
I've been using K&N filters for a long time......probably 40 yrs

I even got to meet members of the K&N team that came to Afghanistan to do trials on air filters for armored vehicles.....the sand there is like talcum powder and the filters worked perfectly...

I'm a big fan.

Sprint, DNA, K&N, etc, are All very similiar anymore.
The disintegrating BMC, very unfortunate, but not common, and could have had a number of causes.
I've had several BMC's over the years, without issue, and K&N's.
I like K&N also, as they make a quality filter that works and lasts.
I like being able to clean it, dry it, spray a mist of oil over it, and it's done.
Cheaper and less wasteful than oem paper filters.
I also tend to belive there is an extra hp or 2 hiding in there, but if it were a couple less, I wouldn't care...or notice, lol.
The convenience of them to me is worth it, and they do catch an impressive amount of dirt from what I have seen.
K&N's also got a bad wrap over the years from problems coming from people Over oiling the filter.
A light spray, just tacky enough for dirt to stick to is all that's needed.
Pick whichever brand you like.
Sprint also offers their Race version...guaranteed to keep birds out...not much else...
lol

Screenshot_20240524-092540_Gallery.jpg

Back